Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sensitive Trunk Release

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by psewert, Jun 9, 2011.

psewert guest

I have an 04 325 Ci that I bought in June of 2010. I really enjoy the car and I'm looking forwards to having it for many years.

There is one annoyance though, if the key fob (this goes for both sets of keys) is within range of the car and the trunk release is even just barely touched the trunk latch is released. If the key is in my pocket and the trunk button is touched ever so lightly pop goes the trunk! I can't tell you how many times I've started down the road and suddenly noticed the trunk open light is on, so I pull over go to the back and close the trunk.

I've asked 2 dealers about this and neither have any idea how to stop it.

How about it folks anybody got a suggestion?

cwbiii guest

same

My 09 335d does the same thing... the only thing I can think of is to slip the fob into some kind of leather sock to protect it from being activated accidentally. This should be relatively easy to make with simple leather craft tools. I have all of the required tools, material and skill, maybe I'll give it a try. The first step would be to carve a piece of wood to the shape and size of the fob to use as a form for the leather.

Chuck

franzdom guest

One thing that helped me greatly in this matter, which was also a problem for me, is a dealer programming option to disable unlock of trunk while car is locked. There is no option to totally disable it but this has almost entirely taken care of the issue for me.
    I am empathetic to your problem, I can't tell you how many times I used to start to pull out and see that vertical red bar on the dashboard. :mad: