Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

3M Scotchguard Plastic Film Protectection

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jtravis2, Jun 8, 2011.

jtravis2 guest

I'm considering putting this product on the bumper and front lense covers of our new X3 M Sport. I would like to have feedback from anyone who has used this product, good or bad. Or any other suggestions to protect the front end from rock chip damage.
    Jim

ForcedInduction guest

The 3M product works well in my experience. I have used it on several vehicles and it has reduced the paint damage that normally occurs.

shipkiller

I have this on my Z4MC and I think it is the BEST non-performance modification you can make.

I have had it on my car since Feb of 2010. I drive the car daily and have had 20 track days with it also. NO scratches, rock marks etc. Nothing.... It is installed on the front bumper, 18" up the hood and on the mirrors.

I even had it installed as one continuous sheet on each side of the car along the running board area just in case. This was to protect the lower portion of the car from damage.

If you get a bug stain on it, just leave it in the sun for a couple of hours and the stain is gone.

It cost me $650.00 installed.

After having to pay the same amount to get the front repainted on the wife's Roadster, it was a no brainer. In fact, the Roadster needs another respray and when that is finished, I will have it installed on her Roadster.

The first picture is late fall of last year.
    The second picture is in Feb. 2011 after installation of a splitter and a two day track weekend and a good wash. As you can see, no marks or damage.

jtravis2 guest

Thanks for the feedback. I live in central Ca., specifically, Fresno. I've only found one place who installs the 3M product and they can't get the template to match the front bumper from 3M. I've been told 3M is looking for a similar "M Sport" front bumper to measure for a template, sounds a little fishy:confused:

ForcedInduction guest

You might want to check around for a custom installer who will cut the film to fit the vehicle. I've had this done on several vehicles and it's much nicer than a pre-cut kit as there are no visible edges.

Jaguarpaw

I have it; but only for 2 months. I had a terrible rock chip right in the center of the hood on my last car and didn't want to repeat that. Unfortunately the shop that put it on for me did not quite clean the hood as well as I would liked; there's a bug underneath it. I'm sure no one else will ever notice it but I see it. Does anyone know if you can remove the 3M film later if you want to? (without having to repaint the car, that is)

ForcedInduction guest

Yes 3M film can be removed without paint damage. They usually leave the car out in the Sun to warm it then start at an edge and slowly pull it back on itself so as to not pull up on the paint. Some installers also use a heat gun to soften the adhesive as they carefully pull the film off.

BMWCCA1

First, I would only use the services of a custom installer. You'll get a better job than a pre-cut kit.

Second, I wouldn't get hung-up on the 3M brand, though they make wonderful products. Pick your installer first and then go with whatever they suggest. My guy uses a German product that seems to resist the yellowing I've seen on other brands, has better flexibility for vehicles with many contours, and is able to cover most car front-ends in one sheet without seams.

Watching the artistry of a good custom installer is a real treat and you'll appreciate the craftsmanship.

shipkiller

I would second that. I should have said this in my original post but...
    It is real cool to watch a good installer do this.

Syrupflow guest

I remember having this stuff on my camaro about 15 years ago. It was great!