Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

89 525i - ABS pump is leaking

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by 109941, Jun 7, 2011.

Hello,

Has anyone else had any problems with minor leaks in the ABS pump? My brake fluid level warning light started flashing and the shop says all is good, but I have a minor leak in the ABS pump. I would like to fix it, but the new part is ~$2700.

I'm open to suggestions.

Jon

Greg E34

Wow! That seems outrageous! I've got a 1994 525i parts car. Not sure if the pump is the same or not though.

MGarrison

I guess I'd start by taking a look at what's leaking, although presumably your shop would have examined the possibility of a leak at one of the input or output fluid lines.

From perusing realoem.com, it looks like several different ABS units were used across the life of the 5 series, so a '94 appears to be a different part. The '94 also was using the M50 engine, not the M20 as in the earlier 525i's. Realoem.com lists the part number from beginning of production up to 9/91. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC13&mospid=47402&btnr=34_0189&hg=34&fg=20

Don't know that later units would be interchangeable, but since the parts numbers change, I wouldn't count on it - I could be wrong, maybe someone will pipe in who knows definitively.

Searching Ebay for "BMW E34 ABS pump" shows 36 results from different model years, $4.99-$350.00 stateside, plus some being sold from overseas. Most in the $100-$150 area. I'd start with trying one from a seller who has a good reputation rating and with a good auction ad that you like.

Then after swapping it in, you get to figure out how to cycle the abs pump, or have to bleed the brakes numerous times with some ABS-activating-stops in between bleedings until you have all the air out. Unless you get your shop to do it! :p

Here's a couple - different search terms might turn up additional items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

mda185

You might also try looking in Bimmerforums E34 subforum. They have a classified ad section dedicated to E34 parts. Bimmerforums is much more active than this one for E34. Better chance of finding the part you need there.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=201

I am not suggesting that you stop coming to this forum but the quantity of DIY information and knowledgeable people where older bimmers are concerned, is much better on the other site.

Just an update. Another shop took a look at the car and found that the clutch master cylinder was bad and spraying fluid onto the ABS pump. I was happy to pay $800 for that repair.

mda185

That actually seems much more plausible than a failed or leaking ABS pump. I have never encountered a bad ABS pump in several hundred thousand miles of bimmer ownership but I have had leaking master cylinders. Price you paid seems a little high but the shop that did the repair sounds like they are more competent than the one that diagnosed leaking ABS pump. The first shop sounds like they were going for maximum profit as opposed to competent repair for a fair price.

Sad to say, the foreign car repair business has too many shops like that. I worked as a mechanic for a dishonest owner back in the early 1980's and witnessed him doing this to multiple customers. Basically, if he thought he could fool you and that you had the money, he would attempt to sell the most expensive repair job possible. He was extremely intelligent, clean cut, and well spoken and used these attributes to rip customers off on a regular basis. This did catch up with him in the end and he lost his business after multiple law suits. I am not going to name names because he was a bimmer enthusiast and may be active in the CCA. Moral of the story is that if you have found a competent, honest shop, stick with them. Even if their prices are a little high, it is worth it for the trust and peace of mind.

Very true. Sadly, the few good dealership shops are now under pressure to generate the revenues lost in car sales during the past few years. You have to be careful.