Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

330 CI Convertible Top Part Name?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by RussSwift, May 31, 2011.

RussSwift

On each side of the convertible deck cover is a plastic sliding door on a spring, the door pulls in and forward when the top is going up/down, and then slides back into place once the top is down. The spring on the left side is gone so now the door is not pulled back into place once the top is down. What is this door and spring called, so I can find a new one? Any help much appreciated.

MGarrison

RussSwift

RealOME Suggestion

I've been there once, with no luck. I will tru again later. Thanx.

cwbiii guest

It's in there...

I know exactly what you mean because one is missing on my wife's convertible.
    on the realoem page, enter your vin and then...

Vehicle trim - Door trim panels/lateral trim panels

The door is part # 10 on the diagram
    6 choices here;
    schwarz (black) right/left
    grau (gray?) right/left
    hellbeige (beige) right/left

Note that there are a bunch of associated parts listed as well, parts 8,13,14,20,and 21.
    20 and 21 are cut off on the parts description list, I suggest you visit a dealer to order these parts.
    They are not really that expensive according to what we can see... and I believe 21 is the long spring needed.

Chuck
    My example...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BS53&mospid=47707&btnr=51_4087&hg=51&fg=50

RussSwift

Top Part

Thanx very much. Did you fix yours, and if so, how? Did the spring brake or did something on the door brake and let the spring go? Thanx again for the help. I owe you. And I do love this car.

cwbiii guest

Not fixed yet...

I haven't yet ordered the parts or attempted the fix. Though I did have to repair the opposite one because it was not working properly so that is how I'm familiar with all of the parts and how much of a pain it was.
    Since then I had to change the rear shocks and to do so you open the convertible top half way to access the top bolts... this is probably the best way to access all of the components easily and simply.

Chuck

RussSwift

Rear Deck Part

I will have the part looked at for repair on Tuesday and will let you how it turns out. I can see where the spring would have let go, and I think I heard it when it happened. I'm just not sure about the other end where it connects to the sliding door. I can't see how it connects on that end so I don't know if some plastic piece is broken on the door or if the spring is the only thing that needs to be replaced. Stand by.

Russ