Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

knock sensors e39 540i 1998

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by chll69, Apr 26, 2008.

chll69 guest

recently i have been getting two codes. PO1384 and PO 1385, supposedly they are for the knock sensors as far as i know. any one know what causes this or if the sensors just need replacing?

chll69 guest

Anybody?!?!?!?

Poormech guest

Did you get thes the same time you got the "Trans" message or was this prior to changing the belts? On the eight, four knock sensors are located on the cylinder walls under the intake manifold. They're like microphones that listen for a certain frequency. I've been told a bad water pump shaft knocking has caused this fault, but that's rare. They're not hard to change. Sensors, some gaskets, about 4-6 hours and a beer or two. While your in there you might want to change the valley pan gasket to prevent any future problems (leaks). Anyway, I'd confirm a fix with the alternater from the other post, clear the codes and see if they come back. If I'm not mistaken these two codes refer to the sensor and/or circiut for sensor 3 and 4. In the meantime, I try and do some more research on the codes.

chll69 guest

yeah the codes for the knock sensors are for circuit/sensor 3 and 4. i did have a waterpump installed about two weeks ago BY BMW then after that i got the codes....are they to blame?? i have the bentley manual so i have taken a look at the removal and installation of the two sensors.

Poormech guest

No I don't think their to blame. If the previous shaft in the pump was failing, it's rare, but it's possible that the knock sensor could pick up the noise. The new pump should be fine. I could see one sensor fail, but what are the chances that two failed at the same time? If it were me, I'd erase the codes and see if they would return. If they do, using an ohm meter, I'd check out the circuit and if determined to be ok, I'd then think about changing them.