Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mass Air flow sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by pyao88, May 26, 2011.

pyao88

Have anyone cleaned theirs after getting CEL bank 0 / 1 too rich?

I am on my 2nd MAF which has 22k miles on it and 1 year and CEL came on today. I think the warranty is 2 years I will have to check with my mechanic. It has K&N filter and I am thinking about taking it out.
    My 1st MAF went 3 weeks after putting in the K&N filter. Coincidence?

Zeichen311

Probably not. MAFs are somewhat delicate and if it was subjected to even a little rough handling while installing the filter, I'm not surprised that it conked out soon after.

pyao88

dms540i

They are easy to clean if you are careful. Just remove and spray the sensors with CRC MAF Cleaner and let dry. DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSORS WITH ANYTHING. Just let the cleaner dry. I am not surprised if the MAF has gotten dirty as a result of the aftermarket air cleaner setup. That's just me, to each his own. Notwithstanding teh above you may have unmetered air entering your system which is a whole 'nother story. Vacuum leaks are tough to find but a good indy should be able to help out if a cleaned MAF doesn't do the trick. Good luck and keep us posted.

tiFreak

I've heard that the oil in the filter can get into the MAF and mess it up, try swapping it for a dry air filter

pyao88

MAF sensor fixed!

After spraying it with CRC MAF cleaner I no longer experience rough idle and 400 miles later it's still fine, no SES. I also changed out the K&N filter to BMW OEM air filter.

I saved my previous MAF that was probably contaminated by K&N and sprayed CRC on it. Let me know if you want to buy it. :)