Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The Nominal Power Drain on a 86 635CSI ?

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by BINGO, May 24, 2011.

BINGO guest

I have been running down a power drain on my 635. The measured power on the positive side of the battery with the car not running and all options turned off is .03 Amps. All of the wiring shows a drain of .03 AMPS except for the power reading from the bulk wiring harness that comes out of the fuse box travels up the driver's side and dissapears down into the firewall in front of the driver side in the engine compartment is .12 AMPS. If I remove fuse 21 the AMPS go down to .07. Is this as good as it gets? Fuse 21 has a bunch on it that I will track down such as the trunk light, rechargable flashlight in the glove box and glove box light. tje remaining compoents on fuse 21 are also feed by additional fuses. The electrical manuals at http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.ht are just fantastic Thanks for posting them..

cwbiii guest

Flashlight...

Do you still have a flashlight and plug it in? Those (Ni-Cd) batteries don't necessarily age well and will draw quite a bit when they get older. The clock/computer usually has some draw.
    That draw (.12a) adds up to 1.5 watts per hr from the battery, not really very much. It should take several weeks to get it to the point it won't start which is about normal. Usual killers are the cell phone adapter that get left plugged in and will draw considerable current even when not charging anything if they are too cheaply made.

Chuck