Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Transmission/clutch noise..

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by dquist, May 11, 2011.

dquist

2007 Z4 3.0 Si equiped with a 6 speed manual transmission. When cold, in nuetral and clutch pedal engaged or disengaged, no noise. When warmed up, in nuetral, no noise when clutch pedal pushed in (disengaged) but when the clutch pedal is let out (engaged) there is a distinct rattling/chattering noise. No noticible vibration. The car is still under warranty (43K). Dealership unresponsive to check if the noise is symptomatic of input shaft bearing issue, throw out bearing or clutch problem. Don't like the rattling/chattering noise and am concerned about a transmission problem developoing after the warranty expires. Diagnosis and/or suggestions?

two30grain

Every where i mention the following, i always get some disagreement.

Some gear noise is normal in manual transmission Bimmers. In fact, BMW calls this standard operating noise. Depressing the clutch and the noise disappearing is a characteristic of this. Whether this applies to your much newer Bimmer, I cannot answer, it may be different of course. YMMV.

I get this information from Bimmer magazine, #64, page 38. Here it was referring to an E46 330i, in my case it is a E30 325i. It comes from Mike Miller; as far as I am concerned with BMW's, his word is basically always truth.

My $0.02? Just enjoy the drive!

Regards.

dquist

Thanks 30 Grain. Mr. Miller confirmed he receives many inquiries regarding BMW manual transmission noise. Not an issue to be concerned with.