Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lifetime ATF

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by pyao88, May 9, 2011.

pyao88

Anyone did the fluid test for ATF at 100k miles?

John in VA

What's the "fluid test?" I had the "lifetime" ATF changed in the '00 328i last year at 60K miles.

rdorman

I have not personally had an analysis done on the ESO LT 71141 but I have seen some from blackstone labs posted over on Bob's the Oil Guy. The stuff does hold up well but I will change it every 60k. I use the stuff from audi/volkswagen which is the same fluid, just at a better price.

379662 guest

Auto trans fluid change

When you change the auto trans transmission fluid and filter at 60K miles, do you also recommend draining the torque converter? What about one of these transmission flush systems? My 2001 530i has 70K miles on it and I'm ready to change the trans fluid.

rdorman

I just drain, change the filter (filtran only please) and fill. Not of fan of flushing systems. Do your rear diff fluid while you are under there.

John in VA

Because I wanted to flush & renew ALL of the fluid, I opted for the BG transmission service and had it performed by a competent & trusted local indy shop. May not be for everyone, but so far, so good! Did the diff drain & fill (manually) at the same time.
    http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

TeutonicTreiber guest

I thought I had read somewhere that if you hadn't changed the ATF at 60,000 that you shouldn't because it's causes more problems than it solves. Is that even remotely correct. My 530i has 64,000 miles plus and of course has never been changed. Should I go ahead and change it?

floydarogers

Mike Miller is recommending that the ATF be changed at 60K. BMW has dropped "lifetime" and now recommends 100K.

TeutonicTreiber guest

Thank you for the info. So I will find an indy to change it out.

pyao88

Where do you see this?

BMW has dropped "lifetime" and now recommends 100K.

2006 330xi 106k miles haven't changed.