Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

07 X3 Coolant Change ?

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by chvossler, May 7, 2011.

chvossler

Changed the coolant today on the X3 just 1 mo out of warranty & w/ 29k. It seems to be quite different than older BMW coolant systems I am use to working on. Is there a block drain on the thing and if so where the world is it? Older bmw's its usually on the exhaust side of the engine block, but I couldnt find anything by looking on motor or realoem.com

I only got out about 1.5 gallons of coolant & not sure what the capacity is of the sweet N52 motor in it.

Finally, when filling w/ 50/50 oem coolant & distilled water, I couldnt find a bleed screw. Is there one?

[IMG]

Was rather amazed how big the panel is protecting the motor for winter junk. lots o 8mm screws
    [IMG]
    Thanks
    Chuck

cwbiii guest

Sweet workspace..

Wish I had that to work with, I'm on my back with my 3 up on ramps or jack stands.
    When I was last in there I thought I saw some kind of plug on the drivers side of the radiator... but you may have to remove another cover plate to see/access it. Mine is still under warranty so I don't mess with anything I don't have to, though I just replaced the inter-cooler directly in front of the radiator because of something in the highway that went through my lower grille. It was when I had the access plate for that off that I though I saw some kind of drain plug. The (BMW) TIS data usually provides the best and most complete directions... I've seen the CD's available through EBAY for $29 or less. I bought one but it did not cover my 2009 335D because it was too new. It did cover 2007 models though.

Chuck

chvossler

Thanks I'll look on ebay for that TIS disc. I am interested in putting an oem hitch on it too.