Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

roof rack or hitch for bike rack

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by dkogut, May 2, 2011.

dkogut guest

Does anyone have experience with a roof rack or a class I hitch for a bike rack for the E 60 5 series?I know BMW makes a roof rack for this model but there are other aftermarket sources also. Anyone have any recommendations or experience?

Deutsch Marques

I had a Thule rack for my E46 330i and it worked great! It used the factory attach points just like the BMW rack would, and cost a fair bit less too. I've always preferred roof racks over hitch or trunk strap racks because the bikes are mounted securely upright up out of the way, and not "dangling" on the back of your car obscuring your rearward vision, your license plate and lights. The only caveat I can think of about a roof rack is you need to be careful when lifting the bike. But I see less risk there than the possibility of the bike scratching the trunk or rear bumper of the other kinds of racks.

jeffhaley

Class 2

avoid class one hitches. They aren't really strong enough to hold bikes and the bike rack, because the rating is at the moment of the hitch. If you can get a class 2 hitch or better, then hitch mounted racks are a great option because you don't have to lift bikes up above your head. And there's much less risk of driving into your garage with your bike attached to the roof. That mistake, although common, can be very very expensive compared to paint damage on your bumper. But again, it's only viable if you can get someone to fab up a receiver hitch that is strong enough.

bswihart

I have a yakima rack for mine and it is quite good.