Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Happy Snaps of my new E28

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by E34M5Calypso, Apr 28, 2011.

E34M5Calypso

Here are a few shots of my new addition, a 1986 one owner 528e. It was a 102K mile southern CA car, full reciepts, including window sticker and very well preserved. Got 32 miles per gallon driving it back to CO. Really enjoying it, detailed the engine, and did a complete clay bar, clay polish, carnuba top wax treatement, and added the car club badge. My current BMWs now give me a tortoise (528e) and a hare (E63 M6). Love the older BMWs..

John in VA

Looking good. Way to show the E28 some love!

CRKrieger

Now get thee over to MyE28.com where we really appreciate these ...

two30grain

Wow, this is really clean and amazing! I would love one in my garage! enjoy!

Regards.

E34M5Calypso

I tried but ran into the issue of having to have them up on a website to load them. My picture upload skills are not very advanced, as evidence on this one where I think I needed to load smaller files. Will work on it, mabye get them up with a few others on mye28.com this weekend.

Hope to get to a 5er fest this summer, have issues with the dates but working it.

E34M5Calypso

Uploading another shot to see if I have the sizing right this time. I like the faded yellow Roundel on the wheels.

Brian A

It's a beauty!!!

(Judging from the yellow color of the cooling system expansion tank though, you might check to see the last time it's been replaced -- they crack unexpectedly, and people usually change them preventatively. An easy job.)

E34M5Calypso

Great tip, thanks. The coolant was last changed 2 years, I was planning on doing a flush and replace this weekend. I will hold off, order the replacement tank, and do the flush and tank replacment next weekend.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You see?

We're such a useful band of comrades!

BMWCCA1

Don't recall ever having one fail on an E28. :confused:

Brian A

I stand corrected. Sorry.

Are they just under low stress in E28s?

Only sometime.

John in VA

I, too, don't recall the coolant reservoir failing in my 25 years of E28 experience. They are further from the radiator than are the E36 and E46 ones.
    The caps can go bad, and the yellowing of the plastic makes it difficult to see the coolant level.

E34M5Calypso

CR.. just finished posting some shots of the e28 as well as the e34 M5 I foolishly sold into the 5erWest thread in general conversation on mye28.com.

tiFreak

that is in unbelievably good shape, glad to see there are still cars like that out there

BMWCCA1

Or maybe thicker and more substantial, like everything on a 5-series over a 3-series, and not constructed with the primary purpose of recycle-ability over longevity like modern BMWs.

In seventeen years and nearly 200,000 miles the tank on my E34 5-series seems fine, too. Don't tell Mike Miller but it's still on its original radiator! ;)

CRKrieger

Remember, Mike is the guy who doesn't think that pedal box failures are common in E24/28s ... ;)

rodpaine

Really looks like it was well taken care of, which is not typical of most 528e models, unfortunately. I have a 1983 528e, purchased new, which I've been trying to keep in very good condition since day one, along with documenting most of the typically needed 528e maintenance and popular modifications, on my web site here. Check it out when you get a chance, I think you'll find it helpful.
    Good luck with the 528e,
    -Rod

two30grain

Rod,

Amazing. Just. . . amazing!

E34M5Calypso

Rod..your website is fantastic ..and your car looks awesome. I am thoroughly enjoying this e28, the one owner seller told me that the reason they sold it to me only because I am an enthusiast looking to preserve it. Have already shown it once, get more headlight flashes with this than I did with my E34 M5.