Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Irregular idle/sputtering after K&N Intake install

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by carlgoeringer, Apr 28, 2011.

carlgoeringer

Please Help!!! I installed the K&N 57i cold air intake on my '95 e34 Touring last night and following the install started the car (which is religioulsly maintained and running very well prior) to find a TON of thick gray exhaust and an idle fluctuating between 500-1500 rpm. I checked the connection between the filter and the MAF and it seems tight as does the connection from te MAF to the intake hose. A friend recommended disconnecting negative battery terminal for 30 mins to an hour to allow ECU to reset. Would this work? I am hesitant to do this as the car has Dinan engine and transmission software installed. I have not yet attempted to reintall the factory airbox to see if things go back to normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MGarrison

I'd say start by putting the airbox back and see what happens.

CRKrieger

Hopefully, you can find another sucker to sell that K&N crap to. Your original intake was more effective at getting cold air to your engine. [Not that either one makes a significant difference from the other.] In all likelihood, you managed to introduce a gross vacuum leak - possibly by moving and tearing the intake boot or dislodging a vacuum line somewhere. Good luck finding it.

carlgoeringer

After speaking with a K&N rep yesterday, it turns out that the particular kit I was using was designed ONLY for European market vehicles and will NOT work with U.S. spec cars due to differences in emissions equipment and should never have been sold to me in the fist place. The internet vendor (also a Roundel advertiser) will be receiving a call from me today. I have removed the intake kit and reinstalled the factory airbox and the car is again running perfectly. Thanks for the advice/ insight.