Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

99 540i water pump replacement

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by miken1625, Apr 25, 2011.

miken1625

Does anyone have a replacement procedure for water pump replacement on my 99 540i.
    Thanks
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I would suggest the Bentley manual. You will need it.

miken1625

I have the Bentley for my model and is useful. However, in following it, I'm stuck at the part that requires the removal of the vibration damper. Instruction refer me to the camshaft section. It's buried somewhere in the seciton and I can't find it. I was hoping someone may have put together a procedure.

Thanks

mooseheadm5

The vibration damper comes off with a ring of bolts. The last one I did was stuck on there pretty tight, but it came off eventually. Just had to keep working on it.

granthr

Moosehead is correct, remove the ring of bolts, either 8 or 10, I can't remember. Just use a rubber mallet and hit it from different sides and angles. It will come off. Try not to let it drop to the floor!!

miken1625

Thanks guys that did the trick. Came off with no problem. Good tip on not letting it fall! It is heavy and probably very fragile. Thanks again to both of you!

mooseheadm5

OK, now be careful when you pull the pump. There is a tube that goes from it to the back of the motor and it is onlt held in with a O ring on the front and the back. If it comes out with the pump you will have trouble fishing it back into place in the rear cross pipe, so try to keep it with the motor and not with the pump.

miken1625

Thanks moosehead, all went well. I was able to gently see saw the pump off of the tubes. I used a very tiny bit of dish soap on the new gaskets. slid on just fine.

Thanks for the assist.