Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Intermittent Driving -- Oil Change

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by maxlfoster, Apr 24, 2011.

maxlfoster guest

Hello,

I have been an e46 M3 owner for a few months now--quick question on oil changes.

I changed mine already (bought it at a Honda dealership, didn't know what they might have put in the car) and used the Castrol 10w-60 recommended by BMW. I don't put many miles on it (as I intend to) and I am wondering what my rule should be for mileage/period of time between changes.

My last car was a 2000 Nissan Maxima (fantastic car, btw--ran great until the day I traded it in with 155k miles) and I changed it every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever came first. Usually, 5k miles came about every 6 months so time wasn't much of a factor. I will average about 5k miles a year (with a quarter of that as city driving) on this car. Should I only change it once a year, or should I change it every 6-8 months?

I know I am splitting hairs here, but I want to make sure I do the right thing with regular maintenance.

Also--I just hit 40k miles; do I need to bring it in (to a respected indy shop) for the Inspection II maintenance?

Thanks

Max

John in VA

maxlfoster guest

Ok sounds good--I will plan on changing the oil once a year then.

Luckily, I don't deal with winter weather (Houston might get two icy days a year) so that shouldn't be a problem. I will still need to get the Inspection I done at some point soon though--thanks for the link.

Max

M3Driver guest

Email Mike Miller (techtalk@roundel.org) for his "Old School Maintenance Schedule". It has a ton of information in it that you will find very useful.

Also valve adjustment is crucial on this engine too...

Enjoy your ///M.....:)

maxlfoster guest

Sending him a note right now--thanks and you enjoy yours too!

Oddly enough I got my first ticket in a long time while driving a rental Nissan Versa last week for work (I travel for work), going 67 in a 55. My co-workers have been giving me a hard time....that engine has 122 hp.

Funny how life works. I am not a speedster by any means, but I would think that same offense in a M3 might draw more attention from a state trooper than in a Versa.

Max