Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tin can rattle sound from the rear wheels

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by wanesso, Apr 16, 2011.

wanesso

Recently put new rear tires on, now at very slow speed (like backing up), sounds like a light tin/aluminum strip of metal is loosely rolling around. Any ideas?

jayesler guest

Does it sound like they left something in the tire like the old tps sensor or is it a rattling sound?
    Did they perhaps bend the backing plate when installing the tires and it is loose or rubbing?

CSBM5

Check the torque on the lug bolts. I know the noise might not sound like loose bolts, but a friend recently went through a similar experience on his 2011 M3 and was dumbfounded to discover it was the lug bolts not tightened sufficiently.

wanesso

Its a definite rattling sound, something light and loose moving around.
    And I will try tightening the lugnuts, just in case.

M3Driver guest

I'll tell you one thing Brother Wanesso, if whoever installed those tires didn't properly tighten the lugnuts as Brother Chuck mentioned above I'd come at them like a spider monkey.....:mad:

wanesso

Dear brother M3Driver I would agree, however, I tightened the nuts and it made no difference to the tin can/aluminum strip rattling sound........sounds like a K-Mart defective toy car when I back up :-(

Zeichen311

The rotor splash shields are OK? Like jayesler said, that would be the first thing I checked. Another thing to check, though it shouldn't have been affected by a simple tire swap, would be any/all heat shielding in the rear of the car.

Maybe the simplest option is to take it back to the tire shop, point out the problem and tell them, "you did it, you fix it" ... ? :( (Hold the spider monkey impersonation as your hole card.)

wanesso

Yes I'll take it back reluctantly ....and hold the monkeys unless absolutely necessary....

granthr

You can always just take the wheel off and see if the rattling truly is in the tire by rolling and shaking it.

oiyoshi

I think I had the same problem as you with my 2010 E90 M3. I happened to be near my dealership when I heard it and went right in. A service manager put it up on the rack and he turned the rear wheels where a pebble came out! Problem solved...no charge. perhaps the same issue? I don't know, just thought I'd through in my 2 cents

M3Driver guest

You know, I wondered about a pebble in the brake-shield area too (I had that issue in my E46 M3), but I figured it had to be something else. Maybe it will be just that easy.

RERobbins

I recently turned in my 2008 E92 M3 coupe at lease end for a 2001 E92 M3 coupe. The 2008 never had this problem. My 2011 has only 500 miles on it and last weekend I experienced exactly the issue that people are describing. It lasted for about a day and then stopped all by itself. This is really odd.

wanesso

I'm starting to like the pebble theory. Haven't had a chance to take it back yet--it's snowing again and can't get far in that car. The sound is distinctly like a light weight piece of aluminum bobbing around but could be a small pebble. Interesting that you heard it in the new M3 for a while...

RERobbins

I heard it only for a few hours, during which I had a vigorous ride. What's interesting to me is that I never had this problem with my 2008 and I swapped wheels twice a year on that one. It came up on the 2011 during the first 500 miles -- but only for a few hours. Really odd indeed.

wanesso

You're not supposed to have 'vigorous' rides before 1200 miles! :D

RERobbins

Good one! One can be vigorous and not go over 5000 rpm. :)

makgun

I've had the same problem. It was a pebble!

wanesso

The K-Mart sound has abruptly disappeared.....:confused:

schwim

dbheben

Had the same problem. It was a pebble! :rolleyes: