Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Driving shoe recommendations?

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by SJAE30PLZ, Apr 10, 2011.

SJAE30PLZ guest

I'm looking to get my first pair of driving shoes. I'm going to want to wear them out as sort-of everyday shoes, but still looking for the best shoes for competitive driving (autox primarily) as well as day-to-day use. I have been looking at Pilotis and Pumas- I can't decide which to go with.

Any suggestions?

Syrupflow guest

I have both and I happen to like the pilotis best in terms of durability. The pumas are more comfortable though.

John in VA

I got Pilotis several years ago at Ross/Dress For Less. They had several different styles from $15-40.

ForcedInduction guest

Most real driving shoes have thin, flat soles to allow better feel and modulation of the pedals. They are not intended as a everyday shoe as you can feel each pebble you step on. A smooth bottom shoe is required for good pedal operation as many shoes can easily be tangled/stick on the pedals.

tiFreak

MGarrison

In addition to that, the soles also are usually pretty soft, you wear them a lot and you'll wear out the soles in short order (probably within two years, if you wear 'em regularly). The Piloti's are designed to be a all-day wearable driver's shoe, so it'll have a more durable sole and more cushioning/arch support, with the compromise being a little less sensation transmitted directly to the foot through the pedals.

If it's between Pumas and Piloti's, figure out which is the most comfortable fit - people tend to not wear shoes that aren't comfortable.

wretched

+1 on Pumas! I have a pair that I wear everyday. Durable while being a decent driving shoe. The sole is thin enough to drive but just thick enough that large rocks won't hurt your feet.

Brian A

The Spousal Unit audited my paltry shoe collection late last year and deemed 25% of it unworthy of a household of our status.

The Piloties survived the audit, but my favorite pair of driving shoes did not. They were pair of wide-soled clodhoppers which bridged the gap between brake and gas pedal better than the Piloties.

The pedals on my two E30s are standard, but the Piloties always feel too narrow for me and heel-and-toe downshifting was much easier in the clodhoppers.

I guess I ShooGooed the soles just one too many times. Maybe I'm a lout, but I lament their loss.

wretched

Yeah Pumas typically have narrow soles.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Thank God for Zappo's

Party A seems to prefer Pumas---at least she has several pairs of them! And of course they ARE the official choice of BMW Team RLL. . . (NA's Tom Plucinsky was ruinning around Munich last week in pursuit of a blue pair, since he couldn't find any at BMW Welt.)

I like Geox, but have a pair of Sparcos for really serious stuff. Obviously I should have worn the Sparcos at Saturday's autocross! :eek:

SJAE30PLZ guest

Thanks for the input you guys-

After much deliberation... I'm leaning toward the Pumas, :p

I did a little sampling of the two last weekend (a friend of mine has a few pairs of driving shoes) The soles on the Pumas are very narrow and thin- quite comfotable on the pedals as the heel and shoe overall is padded much more generously, while still maintaing the flexibility that the Pilotis pass up with a thicker and more durable sole. The Pilotis seem more sneaker-like all around- still great driving shoes, but not as comfortable in general as the pumas are. The price of the Pumas also helps :p

I'm going to get them this weekend, will post the final verdict! :D

conechaser

I have both Puma and Piloti. The Pumas are much better for driving than the Piloti are. They feel much more like my old nomex driving shoes which were the best until I wore them out. I now usually only wear my Piloti shoes for traveling if then (I can't wear the Piloti's for extended walking any more) I wear my Pumas exclusively for AutoX and the track. (they and my gloves stay in my helmet bag)

Note: Pumas run small.

mrglock

I have both brands. Pumas give you that feeling you have no shoes on and can sense every vibration. Pilotis are much stiffer and if you have manual transmission and doing a lot of shifting (city traffic), your feet will thank you at the end of driving.

SJAE30PLZ guest

PUMAS FTW!!
    I have a pair of Drift Cats.. they are so comfortable!
    A very good investment as far as I can tell- maybe next time I'll have to try pair of Pilotis, just to check em out for long term stuff. Thanks for the tips you guys! :)