Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW CCA Grill Badge

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by 45ACP, Apr 8, 2011.

45ACP guest

So I recently took advantage of the membership promotion where one receives a free BMW CCA grill badge with a 3-year renewal. The badge is ridiculously heavy and bulbous! I was expecting it to be similar in size to an ///M badge, but it's big enough to be a cowboy belt buckle. There's no way I'd affix such a thing onto my car and doubt most would do so either.

eam3

It fit perfectly on the grille of my '84 733i but I also think it's a little too big for the newer cars.

1996 328ti guest

I'm sure someone at a local chapter event would be glad to make use of the grille badge.

Deutsch Marques

For the car or their belt? ;)

1996 328ti guest

Either. :)

John in VA

The grill badges work well on my tii and E28s. I have a roundel belt buckle from back in the early 80s!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

That big heavy grille badge. . .

Well, now, here's a new one!

I think BMW makes big, heavy, powerful cars just so they can carry the CCA grille badge. It probably lops a few horsepower off the S54 engine in my Z4, but I rather like the substantial feel and solid quality of the badge.

Sort of like the Colt 1911A 45ACP. :D
    left123 likes this.

garrett guest

Agreed, Satch! It's a bit hard to believe that club members would be disappointed in getting something meaty and solid as opposed to getting a metallic decal that gets bent by rain.

I wish I still had the ones without the space in between. <sigh>

- Garrett (9mm guy)

MontereyDave

Would you guys happen to have pics of this huge grill badge? I'm wondering if it's about the same size as typical grill badges like this Laguna Seca one on my car?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Staff

steven s

I hate to be picky, but it's grille.
    A grill is something you cook on.

MontereyDave

• Staff

steven s

Well I'll be.
    I was hoping rally could also be spelled rallye. :(

Although
    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/grille.html

http://www.grammarist.com/usage-errors/homophone-confusion/grill-vs-grille/
    English is a funny language.
    But I digress.

MontereyDave

In hindsight I should apologize for being somewhat cynical. I'm sorry; I actually appreciate your correction for a more common spelling for a car's grille. A quick eBay search reinforces your suggestion - searching for grill badge automatically delivers results for grille badge.

I agree with you that English is a funny language. I suppose the rebellious nature of Americans is to blame for us making so many changes to the Queen's English. Examples such as gray color as opposed to grey colour and theater vs theater come to mind.

tiFreak

agreed, not like it's heavy enough to have an effect on anything

granthr

I think they look great on my e30s!! :D

BMWCCA1

Obviously you don't remember how large the CCA badges were before I decided to make them smaller as they are today.

Took a lot of flack for that back then, just like I did for moving the Club offices to Greenville from Boston, and hiring Yale Rachlin to replace Parker Spooner as editor of Roundel. ;)

Personally I don't use any grille badges and don't like the way they look even on my cars with side grilles either side of the kidneys. I'd suggest knocking off the bosses on the back and attaching the badge to the rear of the car with 3M attachment tape. It looks better on the back, it's more protected from road rash, and our small U.S. plates leave plenty of room on the back panels. And who can ever read your badge on the front of the car, anyway, unless you're parked and then the window sticker is probably easier to see.
    gotturbo likes this.

drummerfc

:confused: Huh?? :confused:

Gotta disagree with you (respectfully, of course!). I put the badge on the grille of my E39 and I think it adds a little something "extra", if you will, to the look of the front of my car.

Pics to follow...but I'm pleased with the badge myself. I realize you aren't...guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 64 flavors of ice cream. To each their own! :cool:
    left123 likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

An odd language indeed. . .

Rebellion is correct. According to one of my linguistics professors many years ago, Noah Webster so hated the British that as he composed his dictionary, he deliberately changed the spelling of English wherever he could. (Of course, it was a toss-up in the earliest Colonial days whether we would wind up with English or with German as our official language. . . .)

MontereyDave

Sounds like Noah Webster would've been a fan of your WOADSTR license plate. That's a beautiful Z4; I remember seeing your car parked in the BMW corral at Laguna Seca.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yes, getting quietly filled with sand from the gentle breezes. . . I think I still have Monterey beach sand in every crevice! (Of the CAR, of the CAR!) :eek:

The WOADSTR plate came about because Party A has TWUBBLE on her tongue-twister twin-turbo. . . so we sound like the illegitimate offspring of Elmer Fudd. :D