Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Battery: BMW vs Interstate?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by Deutsch Marques, Apr 4, 2011.

Deutsch Marques

I need to replace the battery in my E46 M3. In my understanding, I escape the need for all the "registration" hooey required on newer cars. However, I haven't had to shop around for batteries in 15-20 years.

BMW parts quoted me $179 less the CCA discount. Local auto places are quoting me roughly the same for an Interstate battery. Given roughly equal price, is one better than the other? Or maybe I should look into Diehard as well, having just thought of that as I type this.

MGarrison

I've used Interstate batteries for the last 20 years or so.

M3Driver guest

Whatever one you choose, make sure the battery has the "vent tube". That's the mantra I've heard from all the tech guys.

granthr

I am a die hard Diehard fan! :D The one in my M3 is almost tens years old and still works fine. Yes be sure whatever you buy has the vent tube. You don't want a battery fire! :(

That's my choice, too.....

Deutsch Marques

Thanks for the input. I had no experience with Interstate, so I wasn't sure if they were good or cheap crap. Looks like I can't go wrong with them. Are they actually a better battery than the BMW?

According to Sears' website, there is no fitment for my M3 on a Diehard battery. :confused:

westech

Used Both

We've used both BMW & Interstate batteries. Aound here (St. Petersburg, FL) the Interstate is a few dollars cheaper. I lean slightly toward the BMW as it seems to live a bit longer but both are excellent choices.

The vent tube is essential.

Deutsch Marques

So a local Monroe Muffler shop is willing to sell me an Interstate for $164 DYI or $185 for them to install.

I called my BMW dealership and figured I'd offer them my business. First they told me my 2002 M3 needed to be programmed and it would be $180 installation (on top of the $179 for the battery!) When I said a 2002 M3 doesn't require programming/registration of the battery, they then said only 1 hour labor ($120) to install the battery!

Come on... I'm a complete doofus when it comes to mechanics, and even I should be able to swap the battery in 15 minutes. I was just hoping to avoid a return trip to turn-in/dispose of the old battery.

Looks like I'll just buy it myself or bring it to Monroe. :rolleyes:

westech

Don't ya just love some of the dealerships?

379662 guest

Battery replacement in 2001 530i

In 2006 I had to replace the battery in my used 2001 530i at approximately 47,000 miles. Being a new owner I made the mistake of going to the local BMW dealer for the battery replacement. What a mistake. It cost me over $300 for a new BMW battery. Next time I'll go after market.

My BMW is not a daily driver. To keep the battery up I use a pulse charger plugged into the cigar lighter when my BMW is in my garage. Seems to work fine.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh!

A cigar lighter?! You're showing your age! You mean the Twelve-Volt Accessory Power Socket?!

:D

379662 guest

Battery replacement in 2001 530i

I used the term "cigar lighter plug" to save space in my post and I'm over 65 and damned proud of it.

pyao88

Is there a part # for 2006 330xi BMW OEM

battery that I can buy from parts dept with 20% BMWCCA discount?

two30grain