Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Tire and Wheel Protection

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by Grouchy, Apr 3, 2011.

Grouchy guest

BMW tire and wheel Insurance isn't BMW, it's administered by
    Safe-Guard Products International, LLC and like all insurance is only worth it only if you can collect from them.*

I have been arguing with Safe-Guard (BMW) about their denying claims for two winter Pirelli Sottozero 240 RFT's which I put on (imagine the concept "snow tires") so that I didn't wreck my 135i. *Safeguard said that these were "aftermarket" tires and not covered by the contract even though they were purchased from the dealership and the BMW literature say a that "Program benefits continue even if you replace your tires."

Seem bogus to you? Well it is bogus and BMW should be ashamed of itself. *The worst part is that dealerships will not fight it out with Safe-Guard you have to represent yourself (what's that aggravation worth?) while the dealership holds your car hostage for days.

In retrospect, I would rather have been self insured! Anyone else having the same problems?

Pyewacket1

Can't comment on your experience, but a friend of mine with the wheel and tire insurance has had a tire with damaged sidewall replaced on his 2010 3-series by the dealer, no problems at all. It was an original tire on the car, with approx 4-5 K miles on it.

mgthompson

Our third party tire/wheel insurance paid for a new tire and then refused to renew the policy the following year.

pyao88

Does the warranty contract says it only covers OEM tires or specifically said what types of tires it does not cover? And what type of "snow" tires it would have covered...?

Pyewacket1

I just re-read my BMW Wheel and Tire Protection contract. It states:

"Tires and wheels will be replaced using original equipment manufacturer (OEM) rims and OEM-approved tires and parts."

"All vehicle tires are covered as long as they have more than 2/32" of tread at the time of damage".

My guess is that your snow tires aren't on the "OEM approved list" of tires, even though you purchased them at the dealer.

IMO, you have been screwed far more by the dealer than by Safe-Guard, since the dealer should know exactly what the coverage is in the contract.

pyao88

I read that as -- they will not replace it with some other tires other than OEM.

It did not specifically said that it will only cover if the tires mounted are OEM.

That means, if your expensive / cheapo tires got damaged they should replace with OEM tires.

Pyewacket1

No contract is going to be open-ended. Any insurance has limitations on it's coverage, and it's pretty clear to me that in this case, tires that will be replaced must be on the OEM approved listing. Think about it for a second...

If I want a new set of expensive run flats cheaply, why not go to Walmart, have them
    install el-cheap-o tires and head for the nearest pot-holed street. Then, demand OEM quality replacements.

I feel confident that anyone with legal experience would interpret the contract as I have done.

If it isn't specifically in the contract, the insurance company will not cover it. And, that's the way with all insurance...