Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

lifetime for ignition coil

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by pyao88, Apr 2, 2011.

pyao88

There is service schedule for spark plugs but how about ignition coil? Are they replace when broken type of parts? I had my set of 6 replaced during the warranty/recall around 33k for a 2006 330xi. I changed spark plugs at 100k in Jan and now 103k one of the ignition coil went bad and was replaced. My battery has not been replaced and I read that it might "stress" the ignition coil if the battery is weak. I have not seen signs of battery weakening and my daily commute is 80 miles with 65 miles highway.

Thoughts on the above?

-- car is garage parked
    -- no transmission oil change 103k
    -- oil changed at 15k interval
    (will post when transmission or engine breaks down due to the oil change interval)

pyao88

Check engine light came on again this morning, suspect another engine coil failed....

pyao88

Check engine light disappeared the next day and hasn't returned in 2 weeks...

two30grain

Sorry you haven't received any responses. Unfortunately, I dont have a good answer either.

However, with the CEL going off, it must have thrown a code that can probably shed some light on these issues.

Regards.