Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wider tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ragnuoy, Mar 29, 2011.

ragnuoy

Have a '95 (E34) 530i with standard tires - 225/60/15. Would like to move to a WIDER tire. Can I do it??

tjrinaldi

short of waiting to have an expert reply to your thread, I would call up tirerack and find out if they have any ideas for you....I'm sure they'd love to sell you a setup!

CRKrieger

The simple answer is yes.

The complex answer (actually, a question) is, why?

371142 guest

Wheels

We went to Tire Rack to purchase new BBS wheels and Tires for our 2001 325 ci. Gorgeous 18 " wheels that just made the car look beautiful and custom. The car still handles great.:D

cwbiii guest

Sure...

Your best bet would be to check out what rims were available for the E34 from BMW.
    They often had wider rims available as an option. This should give you an idea of what width you go go to and avoid clearance issues. Understand that some of these were part of performance packages that may have other requirements as well in order to perform as designed. Having said that they would still likely perform adequately for your car without the additional suspension changes.
    Then check out what's being sold by members in the classifieds here... you can get a deal and keep it original equipment as well. win-win.

If you've got your heart set on a particular set of rims then at least you know what rim width you can get away with.

Chuck

SimTechDJ guest

Many E34 owners move to factory 16" and 17" wheels.

It's not uncommon to see a 235 or 245 tire on such a wheel. Make sure to check recommended offsets though!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You cannot go wider on those wheels. You also have no need to go wider unless you track the car. Hell I currently have 215s on 16" wheels on my wagon and I'm pretty sure I corner harder than 95% of the E34 owners out there and it does just fine. When I replace those tires (they came with the wheels) I won't go over 225.