Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

tips for removing E36 fan nut

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by tjrinaldi, Mar 21, 2011.

tjrinaldi

I am trying to loosen the reverse-threaded fan and clutch from my M3's water pump, and that thing is stuck pretty good. I do not have the special tool to hold the pulley, and when I "righty-loosey" the whole darn thing turns. I cannot wedge something in there to hold the pulley (already bent a screwdriver wedging it in there on the bolts) and want to know if there are any more fancy tricks.....suggestions?

granthr

Hit your wrench with a rubber mallet, or buy the tool. It will come off. :)

Bimmerdan

Like Granthr said, give it a good solid whack and you may find it's enough to loosen it. If after a couple of attempts it doesn't loosen, you may have to break down and get the tool (or build your own...it's fairly straight-forward). I would bet somebody in the chapter already has one that you could borrow though. Have you posted anything on your local forum?

MGarrison

Giant channel-locks on the belt pully, or perhaps a strap-wrench?

tjrinaldi

thanks for the replies!!

No I have not posted this in my local forum as the broadest scope of advice come from here...I'm certain these ideas will help me get the job done:)

John in VA

TeamStowell We love driving!

We need a bigger hammer...

I built two of the tools, bent both and attacked the nut with a sawzall on our E30. Worked like a charm! :p

cwbiii guest

Ford wrench

I walked into my NAPA store and bought a Ford wrench off the wall for the same thing ~$30. It fits on any 1/2" socket wrench or breaker bar, even came with a wrench (wrong size). It works great on the e46... don't know about the e36. The sears wrench to fit over the nut was 2x that.
    Chuck

chicane

Not necessarily. I tried both on my E24 and that thing was "welded" on. I was replacing the water pump any way and the clutch had seen better days so I got a new fan clutch as well.

Be sure to put a little bit of anti-seize on the fan clutch threads when you figure out how to get it off.

chicane

dirtdevilnc

Auto zone will rent you a universal fan clutch tool. Its adjustable and works on many different vehicles. I did my z3, my e28 and will be doing my m3 this week with the same tool from their shop. Rental tools rock !