Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ceramic window tint

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by trombleykr, Mar 17, 2011.

trombleykr guest

Just got a 2001 335i and I am considering ceramic window tint mainly for heat reduction, two shops informed me that due to the dot matrix black boarder across the top of the back window they can't prevent a splotchy appearance, with various degrees of success. They also indicated that the 335i is one of the tough ones to obtain good results. Does anyone have any experience or a shop they can recommend (orange county ca) or other informative insights?

CRKrieger

I crack the sunroof open mainly for heat reduction. :D

The reason they can't get the tint to look good in that area is that the dots are silkscreened onto the glass and they're raised. No tint film will conform to such small, sharp level differences. Anyone who tells you different is lying. Personally, I wouldn't tint it. I've only ever had non-factory tint on one car and I didn't like those results. I have removed it from several, including my current driver (at left). Seriously, if it's heat reduction you want, park thoughtfully (aim away from the sun when you can so your seat & wheel don't get as hot) and pop open the rear of the sunroof.

eam3

Unfortunately in south Florida, not tinting the windows is definitely not an option - especially with black interior. Like CR said, no tinting place will be able to tint around those little dots. My tinting guy did the best he could but it still looks a little funky. I've seen some tint places leave that section off and then cover it, externally, with something similar to black electrician's tape. Either way, when summer arrives I can easily forgive the lack of perfection on the tint because the inside temp of my car is radically cooler than before.

345861 guest

+1 here in AZ!

It's true, it's not going to be perfect. My ceramic isn't either but it sure is more effective than the non-cermaic tints on my other cars. I'm sure the composition/thickness of the film has a lot to do with the results. I too have seen some installs where this area has been been covered with a solid strip and probably would have asked about it had I known.

On the flip side, I've heard you DON'T want to have it removed because they are likely to damage the defroster. Then you'll need a new back window!

Deutsch Marques

I've tinted my last 3 cars with no regrets. The reasons being 1) sun protection. Even in the northeast, the tint makes enough of a difference to tell, plus it helps protect the interior from sun damage. 2) security, particularly on my wagon where the tinted rear windows helps obscure anything in the wayback, including my sub and amps. 3) for looks. I must admit a car with tastefully tinted windows looks better than one without.

Those little dots cause the tint to look a little funky, but honestly the benefits outweigh the detriments. And I honestly never even notice it.

CRKrieger

Depends on how you do it. Although it took me hours, I removed the decades-old tint from my 535is without damaging the defroster lines. All handwork, careful razor blade work, and solvent ('Windex'). :D

EthanHughes guest

that must be a rare car indeed

Really? A 2001 335i? I think those all came standard with UV/IR reflecting shields and warp drive.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Whah!

Heh. What I like about this place is that I'm not the only one who makes typos. . .

But mine are usually worse. Let me just say that I try never to type anything about "short-shift kits" these days.

MGarrison

Aw c'mon Satch, you're giving yourself short-shrift there! :p