Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Scammer Phishing Among the Car Ads

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by MicheleG, Mar 14, 2011.

MicheleG

I have a car posted for sale on only this website, and was contacted by a "Jeff" who I think is running a scam. He actually suggested he'd send me a check for $4M 'from which I can only deduct $2M' (how exactly does that happen???) and would 'wire' me the balance. Beware:p

345861 guest

Classified ads are not secure and can be viewed by the public. If you list on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc., be prepared for even more!

Zeichen311

+1.
    I counted myself lucky to get only one confirmed scammer when I had my E46 listed. It was fun to mess with his head, though. :)

MicheleG

Yeah, it was fun for awhile but he wasn't even good at it. I know anyone can look at the ads, and I don't plan on posting elsewhere because I can't be bothered w/all the nonsense....I'd rather keep the car! I just wanted to put the warning out there......"Jeff" is probably sitting at a laptop in Nigeria...his command of English was questionable at best.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh

Sounds like an ideal candidate for these forums! :D