Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

740i drone at idle

Discussion in 'F01/F02 (2009-present)' started by jayesler, Mar 6, 2011.

jayesler guest

I just leased the wife a '11 740i. Overall it seems to be a great car but at idle it has a strange bassy drone at idle. There is no vibration associated with the noise but it has the db characteristics of a sub woofer. The noise disappears off idle. I did not have this sound in her 535. Anyone else experience this? And yes--the stereo was turned off so it's not the subwoofer in the car!!!

cwbiii guest

750i?

To my knowledge that should be a 750i or il rather than a 740.

To think of what would cause a low frequency change like that at idle I don't know, but I seriously doubt that it is normal. It's fully covered, set up a service appointment for it.
    It has been my experience with the dealer I have been using for about 10 yrs now that they aim to please me... no exceptions.

Chuck

Zeichen311

Keep up with the times, Chuck: ;) http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2011/7/740isedan/default.aspx
    For MY2011 (late MY2010? I forget when) they added the N55 turbo six to the 7er lineup as the 740i/740Li.

As for the exhaust note, I've never heard what I'd call a "drone" from this engine in a 3er or 5er, but I've yet to see or hear a recent 740i. The different exhaust plumbing (bigger car, longer pipes) could be a factor. I suspect what you hear is normal but if it's truly objectionable (rather than merely sporty), that does seem wrong for a 7 Series. If in doubt, ask a dealer tech to have a listen. Use that warranty. :)

cwbiii guest

I stand corrected...

I haven't been keeping up... maybe they'll even do the 735D like I've been asking for for a bunch of years now.

Chuck

jayesler guest

We had an o8 535. It ran pretty strong and was quiet at idle. The 740 with the n54 engine runs pretty strong. You can't tell it's a six. I'll take it back to the dealer and have them check the sound at idle.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

jayesler guest

Update

I figured it out today. It is the cooling fans.