Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Two Simple Questions About E90

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by unboringuy, Mar 6, 2011.

unboringuy guest

I just took delivery of a new 2011 328xi. I have a couple of simple questions. The dealer didn't realize there is a small tool kit in the trunk.

1. The kit had a tow eye and a small screwdriver, along with a bunch of empty slots. Should there have been any other tools?

I asked about the iPod/USB adapter cable, as I got option 6FL. The dealer said the cable no longer is necessary or included.

2. Should I have received an iPod/USB cable as a part of my 6FL option?

Thanks.
    • Staff

steven s

unboringuy guest

Thanks. That answers the tool kit question. Does anybody know the answer to the iPod adapter question?

tsharma

I just got a 2011 335xi with the i-Pod connection (but not smartphone integration). It did not come with any cables. I just use the cable my i-pod came with for a hardwired connection via the center console. Not sure if this answers your question.

Zeichen311

No. Use a standard Apple USB cable.

The Y-cable is no longer required because D/A conversion is now done by the car's hardware, not the iPod.

echanda

Agreed, just use your Apple cable. If it is an iPhone don't pay up for the iPhone adapter. It integrates the phone with the cars antenna, but you can no longer use it for music. Stay with the USB cable.

LuigiE90

jschottenfeld

I have an '09 328xi sedan that came with ipod integration. When I plug my iphone 4S using the regular apple ipod cable, (no aux cable), it does not work. Nothing registers on the dashboard. Any thoughts?

Applesauce

Resurrecting an old thread... I have a new-to-me CPO 328xi Touring with most of the options. Plugging in a standard iPod-dock cable does not work. I'm arguing with the dealer regarding the $80 Y-cable. Do I need this cable to achieve something like iPod integration? My wife and I argued about this car versus a diesel Golf wagon (a fine example of which we used to own), and I don't want to give her any ammunition!

charlson89

Yes the dealer is correct you do need that cable. The USB to CIC (car information center) or (RAD2 if you dont have navigation) data line does not allow audio transfer from a Ipod or a like device instead it will use the aux jack. But yes with this Y cable the ipod will integrate to your radio so you can use your steering wheel buttons to select the song and see whats playing. Personally I would take the car you have over a VW any day for many reasons.

drummerfc

My '06 330i has no empty slots, all are filled with tools. Now, whether there are less tools in this car than I had in the '02 525i is anyone's guess. Don't tell me they (BMW) are getting "chintzier" with the tools, the newer the cars get.

Applesauce

No kidding. I come from a BMW family, she from a VW family, Hatfields vs. McCoys, etc. It's settled now that she has driven it for three weeks, but it was an unreasonably tough sell.

Thanks for the details on the cable. The dealer has decided the right thing to do is to give us the cable that ought to have come with the car...