Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

IT'S HERE-iPhone 4 snap in adapter

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by rspeser, Feb 21, 2011.

rspeser

The dealer just called, the adapter is in and I'm on the way to pick it up.

Pyewacket1

Can you provide the part number?

Thanks!

rspeser

Sure, it is 84 21 2 199 389. The list is 165.75 without the BMWCCA discount. Probably cheaper from www.getbmwparts.com, but my dealer had it and I've been waiting a year for it. This is the basic unit, the smart phone integration kit is coming shortly. My car is an 08 and doesn't have smart phone integration. The adapter works great, where I had one bar before, I now have 3+ bars.

Pyewacket1

Thanks...!

ldamario

On my 2010 335i, I have smartphone integration with the snap-in adapter for the iPhone. The adapter fit my iPhone 3, although I had to pry the phone out of the adapter to get it out. The ejector button stopped working very quickly. Since I got an iPhone 4, I haven't checked to see if it fits, but from the posts in this thread, it appears that it doesn't. This a nice deal for BMW - every time Apple comes out with a new iPhone model, people have to buy a new adapter. I never used the adapter much anyway. It got to a hassle to keep plugging it in and unplugging it every time I got into or out of the car. If the phone stayed in the car all the time, that would be different. To me, the biggest advantage of smartphone integration was that it charged the phone.

rspeser

Very true, I only use mine on road trips or if the charge is low on the phone. It does help in fringe areas to provide better signal strength.

Syrupflow guest

Speaking of...

Speaking of the iPhone4/smartphone adapter, does anyone know if it's possible to stream e-mail onto the iDrive screen?

bcweir

Not possible to "stream" email.

Audio is "streamed." Video is "streamed." Email is not "streamed." No such animal. Email can be copied, deleted, uploaded or downloaded, but never "streamed."

Streaming involves being able to watch video or listen to audio WITHOUT it being downloaded to the destination device. Bluetooth Audio is a very good example of this. It also requires a streaming "server" at one end, and a streaming client at the other end of the stream. Both involve a compatible hardware component and software application at each end.

Without compatible hardware and software, this is not possible.

echanda

iPod 4 Adapter Installed

I just had the dealer install a snap in adapter and, as described above, the phone signal is much improved. However, no more music. When I used to connect the iPhone through the usb port, phone, music, etc. all worked. With the adapter nothing. Does anyone have a manual that gives the secret to how this thing works?

Syrupflow guest

Perhaps I meant to say uploaded. In fact, I was almost hoping there was a way to "sync" the iPhone to the iDrive system. Thank you for clarifying that though. You have quite handily displayed the fact that I do not make my living as a computer engineer.