Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dinan 4.6

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Medoram3, Feb 16, 2011.

Medoram3 guest

Anyone have thoughts on the Steve Dinan High Performance 4.6 V-8 Engine creation for the M3?

jayesler guest

I have not had a chance to read all of the articles. What are the details of the engine upgrade?

Medoram3 guest

jayesler guest

I had an 08 and just leased an 11 model. The increase in low end grunt would be great but for 25 grand on top of the m3 price---I just don't see the value. I'd like to test drive it though!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The Dinan stroker

Pure evil. And mannnn, it makes a WONDERFUL noise! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zeichen311

C'mon, it's not so bad--they refund 20 large when the dealer ships your stock motor back to Dinan (that's the "core charge"). So you're only out $5,999.

Plus gaskets, fluids, and miscellaneous bolt-it-in bits.
    And 40 hours' labor.
    And tax.
    And whatever penalty they slap you with when you turn in this beast at lease-end.

Cheapskate. ;) :D

jayesler guest

Maybe I read it wrong. I thought that the 20 grand core charge was tacked on to the price of the motor. Is the upgrade 5k or 25k plus core charges?????

CSBM5

Yes, it's 25k. You have to pay a $20k core charge if you don't return your stock motor. If anybody is interested in this, at least contact Dinan directly and work on a discount since they have offered it lower in recent specials.

rbindc

Guys, I have to tell you, this is insanity. M3s are nice cars; they're not that nice.

For that money get a Porsche.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Get a WHAT?!

Bite your tongue! :eek:

Robotrenegade guest

Anyone have a comparison between the Dinan V8 and the Active supercharged kit?

Syrupflow guest

Really?

I know this post is somewhat dated, but I just caught glimpse of it. While I agree for $80,000 your options open up, I'm not so sure $80,000 will do you better than an M3. Sure you could get a Carrera 2S, but it's a totally different drive and I'm not sure it's a better one at that. You add an additional $10,000 to that and now you're talking jaguar XK money and maybe then you're on to something. I still say for the money far and away the M3 delivers the best performance bar none and that would include a $25,000 dollar buffer on top of that. IMHO.

rbindc

Know what? I agree with you today.

I started to look at the luxury coupe market as I am not totally satisfied with my 335is coupe (rides hard, leather is not top quality, interior is bare-bones, all business). Shopping MB, Audi, Jaguar, and Porsche, at the $80,000 price point (and even well above) nothing touches the M3.

The M3 can be had with an adjustable suspension, which addresses the hard ride issue, has better leather inside than the 335is, and is a higher performance car. It also avoids the reliability problems associated with the N54, N55 engines. It's only drawback, which is shared by all of the alternatives, is the poor fuel economy and the gas guzzler tax.

I'm probably going to keep my 335is, at least until the warrantee runs out, but I now think I would have been happier with an M3, which I would have planned on keeping for at least 10 years.

Syrupflow guest

I have to say I love my IS though I agree, BMW is notoriously stingy with it's options. The only option I didn't add was the upgraded stereo and to be honest, they should be ashamed of the 4 speaker ridiculousness they put into a 60k dollar car. You get a better base stereo in the Nissan juke. The ride I thought was sublime for a potential track car. I will say had the Porsche cayman rs come out prior to my purchase, I may have chosen differently. But that doesn't even HAVE a stereo. Looking at what you listed as your priorities above, you may have been better off with an Audi S5 no? Great interior and generous options. Not to mention the AWD. Just not as connected to the drive.