Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Head up display and polarized sunglasses

Discussion in 'F01/F02 (2009-present)' started by hawk108, Feb 12, 2011.

hawk108 guest

When I use my polarized sun glasses the HUD disappears almost completely. I've seen reviews that have said that polarized sunglasses only dims it somewhat. I'm wondering if all polarized sun glasses wipe out the HUD to the same extent. Does anyone have a brand that they would recommend?

Thanks.
    • Staff

steven s

Non polarized?
    I can't see my GPS on our Mini with sunglasses.

cwbiii guest

Vertical vs horizontal polarization

Try changing the polarization angle by cocking your head with the glasses on or taking the glasses off and looking through them while you rotate them. This will tell you if changing the polarization will help or not. You may have to specify which polarization you want for a prescription pair or find a pair that are different than yours. This is actually pretty easy if you have the pair that doesn't work handy... if one is polarized horizontal and the other is polarized vertical and you look through both lenses at something then they will pass almost no light through them. If they are polarized the same then the image will be a bit darker but you will see it. So once you know what angle your present glasses need to be to see the hud then use that angle to find a pair that is the same by looking through both to see if you get he desired results. Another option is to use a polarized camera lens and put a mark on the edge that needs to point straight up (or down) for viewing the hud and use this test any prospective pair.

Chuck

hawk108 guest

The problem is clearly a polarization issue--if I turn my head or look through the glasses and turn them, the clarity of the HUD changes markedly. I think most sunglasses are vertically polarized but I'm not an expert on this. I was struck by the various comments that some people state that their glasses just 'decreases' but apparently doesn't eliminate the image. That makes me think that there are differences in polarized sun glasses. It would be very helpful to find out if someone has a pair of polarized glasses that work at least partially with the HUD. Otherwise, the only option is non-polarized.

Someone blogged that Maui Jim's work--does anyone else have experience with this or some other brand?

rspeser

I've noticed that with my Maui Jims I can see the various displays, but with my other pair they disappear.

hawk108 guest

Are both pairs Maui Jims? Do you know what model the Maui Jim's are that work?

Thanks.

rspeser

No they are different makers, I believe the other pair is Revo. I don't have the style of the MJ's but a reputable shop will let you try them and exchange them if they don't work.

floydarogers

Don't know about the HUD, but my Maui Jims play hell with the radio display in my 335i. Cocking your head does work, but plays hell with my neck.

FalconFlyer

The whole premise of the HUD and how it works, it by reflecting the image off of the front windshield. The entire purpose of polarized glasses is to element reflection... so in essence, you have just defeated how the HUD system works. It is one of the reasons why we as pilots are not allowed to wear polarized glasses.