Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2008 335i oil change and iDrive

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Lsutiger607, Feb 8, 2011.

Lsutiger607 guest

Hi. I am a new owner of a used 2008 335i and have a question about oil changes. According to iDrive, a change is due in another 4300 miles. When I bought the car (about 1500 miles ago) it said 4900 miles to the next change. Is the car doing a calculation (based on economy driving) to determine the 4300? Or should the countdown to the next change be linear based on the number of miles driven. I've heard that driving the car 'hard' will result in a sooner oil change. Is the car determing that? Can the same be said of the required inspections for brakes, brake fluids etc? Is there a better source to learn more about this iDrive?

Thanks

floydarogers

All service is condition based, rather than absolute miles driven. About the only one that isn't is the ones for yearly (bi-yearly/whatever) for state-mandated "inspections" of emissions and safety.

bl335i08 guest

Yeah, it's not solely based on miles driven, from what I read on the web, but based on amount of fuel burned per mile driven. If you put your foot down a lot, it will call for oil change sooner.

M3Driver guest

Do you (and your neat engine) a real favor and change that oil every 7500 miles, regardless of what your on-board computer says....

bl335i08 guest

+1
    I have been doing that.