Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Headlights

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by donswinford, Feb 5, 2011.

donswinford

My 1990 325i has an issue with the headlights. When I turn my bright lights off, the headlights goes dark.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

There are a few possibilities:
    Blown fuses - test or replace them
    Bad relay - not common, but possible.
    IF you have conventional headlights, your outer bulbs (the low beams) have both low and high beam filaments in them. Very often the cause of this problem is that the low beam filaments have burned out. Test or replace the bulbs.
    IF you have ellipsoids, then the outer bulbs are low beams only. If you have ellipsoids, then look to see if the outer lights are on when you have the high beams on. If they are not, they could both just be burnt out. Again, test or replace the bulbs.

In the future when you ask for assistance, you need to provide more details about your car, like what year and model the car is, maybe even production date and last 7 digits of your VIN.

For technical problems, you may want to also provide a little more background. For instance, what have you done to diagnose the issue? Have you looked at the front of the car with the high beams on and off? Do the lights in the car work with the headlight switch on? Do all 4 lights light up when the high beams are on?

donswinford

Thank you for the info on my question and on how to post on the forum.