Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

VIN for 2002 Turbos

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by rcnorman, Apr 22, 2008.

rcnorman guest

Does anyone have a source for 2002 Turbo VINs?
    I have found 3 in Europe/UK and they all appear to be standard cars that have the turbo parts installed.

rc norman

BMWCCA1

Kind of hard to believe how much misinformation exists about the 2002 turbo on the Web. I figured your question could be easily answered with a Google search so I tried it out. One authorative site listed in the first few Google hits goes into great detail on specifications and yet missed the boat entirely on the brakes, writing in their FAQ:
    "What kind of brakes was the 2002 Turbo equipped with?
    The 2002 Turbo used upgraded 10.08-inch front disc brakes and the stock 2002tii rear drums."

Anyone who's ever modified a 2002 knows one of the easiest upgrade is to use turbo rear drums and shoes, which just happen to be the same parts as used on the E21 3-Series.

But, to answer your question I had to revert to good old printed material:

The 1,682 2002 turbos produced should all fall in the serial number range 4290001-4291672.

rcnorman guest

Thanks

Much appreciated

NeilHenry2002 guest

Rear Big Brakes

Well the info on the rear brake upgrade is very interesting. I did the BBK on my front brakes on my '74 2002 with a kit from Top End Performance. I have been kicking around in San Fran '02 circles for about 6 years and did not know about the easy path to a rear brake upgrade.

I think the BBK was an important factor in getting my 2002 to daily driver status.

Thanks, Neil Concord, MA

pingtsao guest

Turbo VIN

BMW CCA Registry is maintained by Sean Casey in Petaluma, CA. He has a list of Turbos known to be in USA. In addition, he is the mechanic for at least 6 Turbos of the 10-12 that I know of here in California. He can be reached at sean@caseymotorsports.com. My Turbo is 4290486.