Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My Dilema

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by echanda, Jan 27, 2011.

echanda

In response to my new M3, my wife has decided she wants out of her minivan (a gigantic Nissan Quest referred to in our house as the mini-barge) and into a regular, reasonably sized, car. While this is a reasonable request, the catch is she wants the minivan to remain as the third car. This means I need to give up my X3. Unfortunately, after 135k miles I have become quite attached to my X3.

The debate has centered on which is more important, the ability to transport seven people at once or the ability to be mobile in any weather condition. We have three garage bays at our disposal and the idea of keeping a fourth car outside during a New England winter is not an attractive option.

So, I was interested in thoughts regarding this debate. Pros, cons and, really my true motive here, new and creative reasons to argue in favor of keeping the X3.

tiFreak

how often do you transport 7 people at once? living in New England I'd say that having the awd is more important unless you actually need seating for 7

granthr

Build a garage!!!! Or better yet just let the mini-barge sit outside. You won't drive it much and sounds like you care less about it, so who cares!!!! My truck sits outside, while the rest of the fleet are snug inside. :D:D

Deutsch Marques

Is it a question of affording the 4 cars, or is it simply the not wanting to put a car outside? If the latter, then store the X3 during the summer in an off-site storage facility, and come winter, put the M3 there and drive the X3 in the bad weather. You'll only have 3 cars at home at once, and storing the 4th during its off-season.

CRKrieger

Leave the Barge outside! If its purpose is totally utilitarian, who cares if it sits out? If SWMBO objects, get her a Barge Cover (and sit laughing while watching her put it on).

MGarrison

Go with the remote-storage already suggested, or keep the minivan outside. Then, both of you can see how often you use or need the minivan and ultimately decide if it's really needed. I can't speak for current Mercedes wagons, but my dad's 95 has a rear-facing trunk-seating that flips up (the spare is vertical in the rear quarter) that isn't really big enough for two adults, but can accomodate a couple kids. Possible to stuff 7 people in there for short journeys, too cramped for a long haul though. Point being there might be some car-like option smaller than the barge that fits 7, if that fits your needs.

Pyewacket1

As others have questioned... How often do you transport 7 people?

I used to keep a land barge taking up space in my garage, until I examined how often I really needed it. After looking at taxes, maintenance costs and insurance, it quickly became apparent to me that I could rent such a vehicle when I needed one, yet still come out ahead $$$-wise.

Of course, your case may be different... Run the numbers and see where it takes you...

echanda

I knew you guys would come through for me!

Building another garage has the added benefit of creating space for yet another BMW! However, the offsite storage is probably the most practical idea. Leaving the mini-Barge outside is certainly an option, but once it gets buried in snow there it will stay. Perhaps then we will learn how well we do without it.

My wife put the odds that you all would recommend ditching the X3 at just slightly above zero percent.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

One other thought. . .

Let's see: wife wants car instead of minivan (good for wife!). Husband has M3 AND an X3?!

Why not give wife the X3---or the M3?!

granthr

B/C he will then be stuck driving the mini van in the winter, the X3 in the summer and he'll never see the M3 again!!! :p

echanda

Exactly! I don't have to share that suggestion with her do I? :p

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What to do, what to do. . .

1. Tchitcan the van.

2. Buy a Z4.