Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Opening Trunk Lid

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by mcocca, Jan 27, 2011.

mcocca guest

I own a '98 M Roadster. I took the battery out for winter storage on a trickle charger. Afterwords I closed the trunk lid. Much to my surprise, when I tried to open the trunk lid using the key it would not open. The doors open using the key but not the trunk. Any suggestions on how to open it?

Zeichen311

Connect a battery to the jump-start terminals under the hood, then unlock the trunk.

mcocca guest

where are the jump start terminals?

Zeichen311

Somewhere under the hood, usually on the right side (passenger side) of the engine bay near the firewall, you should find a plastic, box-like cover about 1.5" x 2" or so, with a large "+" marked on it, a fat cable leading to it and a good-sized bolt underneath it. Nearby there will be a similar, uncovered and unmarked nut/bolt terminal for the ground (negative) connection. Check the owner's manual if you have one, it will probably pinpoint the location in the section on jump-starting the vehicle.

The situation you're facing isn't really much different from having a stone-dead battery, so connecting power to these terminals should do the trick.

mcocca guest

Thanks. I've never had to jump start the car so I wasn't aware of this.