Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Owner/Member - General Questions

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by RK Elks, Jan 23, 2011.

RK Elks guest

Hey all, long time Lexus/Infiniti owner - giving BMW a try.

Just bought a 2007 E90, 335i. 20,400 miles. 1-owner. Clean car fax. Sport package (no NAV/iControl)
    So far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. However, I have a few questions that hopefully can be easily answered.

Other than going to a dealer, is there any way to change some general "personalization" items as listed below?

1) Headlight courtesy delay: any way to turn this on? Right now as soon as I turn the car off the head lights shut off as well. I'd like to have them stay illuminated for a short duration if possible.

2) One-push unlock all doors: my last Lexus could be set to unlock all doors instead of just the driver's door with only a single push of unlock on the remote. Can BMW's do this?

3) Security chirp lock/unlock: most BMW's I've been around in the past "chirp" or " beep" when locking/unlocking. Mine does not, can I turn this on?

4) Angel eyes: I've seen many BMW's on the road with just the "angle eyes" of the headlights on. Can't seem to find the right setting to do this.

5) Fog lamps won't stay on: every time I restart the vehicle I have to manually turn the fogs on again. Is this typical?

6) Upgrade software to avoid turbo lag at start / Fuel pump replacement (known 3-series issues from bits I've read): I have 2-weeks left on the original warranty, anything I should look out for and possibly have the dealership double check before it runs out?

Thanks in advance for the responses. Very excited to get into the BMW world!

Russ

eam3

1) For the headlight courtesy delay: pull back on the high beams after you shut the car off and the lights will stay on for a certain amount of time (adjustable through I-Drive but since your car does not have it, it might be a dealer setting).

2) Not sure but I like BMW's solution better because sometimes you only need to unlock your door, no need to unlock all four.

3) Not sure, our 535i didn't do it either. My 330Ci does not chirp either.

4) No idea on the E90 but I would think they should turn on automatically (they do on my mom's 335i).

5) Yes. There is no need to drive with fog lights on all the time so technically you turn them on only when there is fog. The car has great headlights and the fog lights on a clear night is frowned upon unless you want to look like a backwards-cap-wearing ricer.

6) Fuel pump warranty has been extended to 10 years / 120,000 miles on all twin turbo engines. On our car it just failed out of the blue. Turbo lag problem might be solved by Dinan software I would guess.

granthr

I believe items 1,2, & 3 can be set by the dealer or an independent with the correct computer.

DRL can also be set the same way, I am not sure if the DRLs on your car are the angel eyes or the high beams at a lower voltage. You don't have a choice in that. New to Newer BMWs use the angel eyes as the DRLs.

If you bought this car from a dealer they might be willing to do these settings for you for free. These are almost always set up to personal preferences for new car buyers. So you can always ask.

Zeichen311

#1 (I think, not certain), #2 and #4 can be adjusted through the "BC" (on-Board Computer) controls on the turn-signal stalk, in cars not equipped with iDrive.

#3, only if an alarm system is installed. You may be able to control whether the turn indicators flash when locking/unlocking--this is selectable on iDrive cars but I'm not sure about non-iDrive models.

#5, normal behavior.

Coming from a Lexus, I suggest you read the owner's manual for the car. A lot of little features may be present but just a bit different than what you're accustomed to, and the manual will help you get oriented quickly. If the car didn't come with one, you can download a PDF version from the BMW USA website. Look for your model on the "Owner's Manuals" page, found under the "Owners" menu heading.

CRKrieger

#5. Stop being a poseur. This is a BMW, not a Pontiac. Use the fogs when they're needed; not when they're not.

RK Elks guest

OK, great - thanks for all of the responses!

I actually did read the manual for these items and didn't find any answers (other than the pulling the head light stalk to manually turn lights back on for a delay - poor option imo). Also, no iDrive so that wasn't an option either. I'll make a run to a dealer with my list - good advise!

...relax CRK, no posing here - just making sure I didn't have a problem. I've just never seen a car reset the fog setting. Also, I experience early AM valley fog almost morning on my way in to work (not that I actually need the fogs)... my "ricing" days were over many cars ago, but thanks for the concern!

Thanks again all!

Zeichen311

I downloaded and took a look through your manual, hoping to help you out--sometimes it's easier to find these things when you already know where to look. ;) Unfortunately, it seems in MY 2007 cars those settings (#1, #2, #4) can only be adjusted through iDrive--the ability to change them through the BC stalk appeared in MY 2009. Sorry for the error, I knew I'd monkeyed with those settings in a non-iDrive loaner but it must not have been as long ago as I thought!

The dealer (or a good independent shop) should be able to reprogram most or all of that list to your liking--DRLs and central locking were dealer-configurable even on E46 cars.

RK Elks guest

Cool... much appreciated Stig! I will schedule for an appointment at my local BMW and will report back with my success.
    Thanks again!

granthr

I like posing!!! :D Mostly just to irritate CR! :D:p

eam3

I disagree. I've only used it when parking in ridiculously dark areas and it lights up everything with the high beams just perfectly. I'd hate to see those lights come on every time I turn the car off at night, especially when it's not needed. That's just my opinion though.

RK Elks guest

Every car I've owned in the past ten years has had this feature (auto head lamp delay). I'm just very used to it I guess. Plus, the Xenon balasts being shut off and then refired at the pull of the stalk causes more wear and tear on the system than if they just continued to stay lit for 30 seconds after the engine turns off.

eam3

True, I hadn't thought of the extra work on the ballast. On the other hand, I also don't want it staying on every time I turn the car off at night, whether it's in my garage or a friend's driveway.

RK Elks guest

...fair enough

granthr

He runs from the police at lot and has to hide in driveways!!! If the lights stayed on he would be busted!! LOL :D:D

CRKrieger

It works. Just look for the rolling eyes whenever you roll by ... :mad:

eam3

Thinking back to when I was 16, it wasn't the police, it was the girl's parents! :D

floydarogers

Actually, no. It's illegal to use foglights when not needed in many states. Foglights are basically useless - and waste gas - except in the very limited cases AT NIGHT where fog actually exists.

Google around for Daniel Stern's site and read his stuff.

tiFreak

waste gas? I highly doubt they cause such a strain on the alternator that it lowers your fuel economy

floydarogers

Yeah, but with so many poseurs around, it all adds up.

CRKrieger

ROFL! Yeah; I've never said it wasted energy, but when you put it this way ... :D

I am willing to bet you a round of drinks that nine out of ten people who thought my remark was uncalled for are also poseurs who run with their fog lamps lit all the time. Any takers?