Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What other forums belong on BMWCCA.org?

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by Bill Howard, Mar 2, 2008.

Bill Howard

Now that we've been open for a while and you've had a bit of time to browse all the forums, we'd like to hear if there are any forums that really make sense that we don't have, or that you'd like to see split out. A recent joiner to the site noted we don't have a M cars forum for the Z cars, which we should have. Tell us about others you'd like.

Brian A

Hi Bill,

First of all, things look absolutely great. The following are some ideas regarding potential changes, but I'm just throw them out for consideration; make of them what you will ...

Maybe DIY should be split into a few sub-elements (and therefore, I suppose, the general "DIY" category deleted):
    -DIY engine & drivetrain
    -DIY suspension, steering & brakes
    -DIY electrical
    -DIY body & interior
    -DIY audio, video & electronics (exists already)
    -DIY routine maintenance
    -DIY detailing (exists already)
    -DIY upgrades

(I have my Bentley guide on my lap as a brainstorm source right now.) A favorite topic for the forums are the DIY topics, so it would be great to have a little more structure around the DIY bucket.

Not sure why "MINI" is separated into its own Tech Talk; cars is cars. It would be great to read MINI related topics within the above DIY topics.

I think the topic "Service & Maintenance, Warranty" is a little to broad. Perhaps it would be more crisply focused if there were separate topics for:
    -Dealer Warranty Service
    -Off-warranty Dealer Service
    -Professional Service (for non-DIY issues).
    -(Possibly buy/lease/insurance forum goes here too.)

It does seem like the fine divisions into all the different models might be overkill. I am not sure what we'd all post in those categories except more DIY forum content. I am finding I am using the "posts since last visit" and "posts in last 24 hours" rather than going into my e30 subcategory. I enjoy reading about other cars and other problems.

You might add some sort of pseudo-deep forum topic such as "Cars and Life" or "Philosophy" or … this is a dumb idea.

For all forum submissions, it might be better to include some mandatory click boxes for keywords or other metadata (year, E-code, etc) each time someone tries to post. This would allow both cross-references and would makes posts more searchable.

In that vein, it would be good if there were also mandatory click-boxes when posting photos in the Galleries (I've posted some, but have no idea how to put them in some of the galleries that other people have.)

I hope this helps. I've watched with great interest the launch of this new great website (it's a bit like watching the formation of a new supernova) and have been logging in multiple times each day just to watch things develop. Its interesting and exciting.

Brian

jdreeves guest

I think you have more forums than traffic. I would let things shake out for a while; if certain forums become unmanageable, they might be worth splitting out.

1996 328ti guest

I'm confused why we have a tech section and model section.
    If I was looking for a tech thread, I'd look in the model specific section.
    Lumping all tech discussions in one I think will make searching more difficult.
    Unless it was a general question like tires.

bimmerque

The Idea here is, that we need to bring the entire BMW community to this web site (most may not agree), but we have various sites (e46 fanatics and bimmerfest that represent a much different BMW community. I understand the standards blah-blahblah-blah stuff! I am also a proud member of this Organization, but our site needs something to bridge the gaps between BMW lovers and there respected opinions. This is a great site don't get me wrong, no reflection on the great web designers. However, we need get people comfortable about posting their wants, thoughts, and ideas on our site.

Just my 2 cents!
    :cool:

Bill Howard

Here's why we sliced and diced the forums: Tech Talk is devoted to aspects of the car that cut across model lines, such as wheels and tires, detailing, cellphones or audio gear, and turbo/supercharging. Model specific forums are about aspects that are more likely to be model-specific. The model forums are also great for talking about your experiences with the car. But if you want to show off pictures, that's probably best done in the gallery.

We do have the ability to adjusts what's where as we get more good feedback.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

North Central Region Forum Please

Bill,
    Can you please open a forum for North Central Region. I see the North Atlantic Region has one. Would it not make sense to open one for each Region?

Any news as to when the DEC Forum will be online.......I know Bill Wade has some input, and approval status, but hey, the congress is coming up quickly and we effectively have nothing since I was told the DEC Yahoo group was "dead". Interestingly, it appears that no one else knew this either. Any insight as to when this will go live is appreciated.

CRKrieger

I'm with Reeves here. I think the place is pretty balkanized already. May even need some simplification.

granthr

I like what I see so far. But this is really the first online forum I really participate in, so I can't really compare to other sites. I am like Brian in that I usually just refer to what has been posted since the last time I log on.

az3579

There is no making everyone happy. Either you get a specific forum for every little thing that can be discussed, like Bimmerforums, or you get a forum that generalizes topics, such as our site.

I personally would rather have the layout of ours, where there's a lot less clicking involved to read all of the topics if you do so, such as myself.

granthr

+1 I think keeping it simple is best! :D People should just try to remember to title their threads properly. Although that is tough in this bunch. There are a few of us here that have a tendency to take things off topic. No names, and I am would never do that, just for the record! ;) :D

Brian A

I agree too. Since those first few weeks of the new site, I still use 'New Posts Since Last Visit" the most. Its bad when I check from my Blackberry (often) and wipe out the record of stuff I haven't yet reviewed.

Its too bad that "Galleries" aren't that active. People can tell their personal stories there. There should be a link to a Member's "Gallery" under their Avatar in the Forums.

joedapro guest

I would like to see more club racing forums. I am Mike Akards crew chief. He is a great driver and an awesome friend. Track stories are always entertaining.

granthr

+1 on this idea!!!! This would be great. :)

I have a gallery, but they don't show up in the 3 series gallery, I guess I did not set it up right. :(