Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 M3 Steering Wheel Shake

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by KoreM3, Jan 16, 2011.

KoreM3 guest

I've done a search on the topic with no results but maybe I've been looking for the wrong thing. I have an '11 M3 with roughly 1k miles, I've hit 80-85 on the highway a few times and the steering wheel starts shaking a fair amount. I've gotten it up to 90 and the shake goes away. Tire pressures are fine, thinking its a wheel balance problem but am a little ticked it left the factory this way. I'll be in for my 1200 service in a few days so we'll see what happens. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem?

echanda

I only have about 700 miles on mine but have not experienced this so far. Regardless, I'd be very interested in the diagnosis when you bring it in.

M3Driver guest

I have the tire balance checked. Might have slung a wheel weight off. I've seen the same thing other vehicles (not M3's but other BMWs) from time to time.

wanesso

Never had this problem or any others in my '08 M3. Your issue makes me nervous as I have considered this a most perfect car so far....

BMWCCA1

I don't suppose there are any potholes in your part of the world, are there?

Could be a bad tire.

KoreM3 guest

Just an update...the shaking actually stopped right before my service. I mentioned something and they supposedly checked the wheel balance and said everything was good. I've since put on 200 miles and have hit the 80-85 range a few times and still nothing. I'm just glad all is good with the car!
    • Staff

steven s

Problems don't just go away unless you sell the car. :confused:
    Did you bring the car in for service prior to the shaking?

wanesso

Since these posts I have had a wobble/shake develop at all speeds....then just put new tires on and the shaking ended....worn out tread or needed balance?

tiFreak

probably tire balance was off, it's not uncommon for the adhesive backed wheel weights stuck inside the rim barell to fall off

cwbiii guest

or a damaged tire

I've had cords break inside the tire from potholes/bridge expansion joints which can affect the tire without any real visible cues. usually the wheel becomes a bit out of round.

Chuck

Robotrenegade guest

I have the same problem. Let me know what you find out.

Robotrenegade guest

I just had my tires balanced. Drives 100% better

DAN@CIRCLEBMW

I had that same issue in my 12 E92 M3. Turns out that I needed a proper balancing done, and when I mean proper, I mean "Road Force" balanced. Ask your shop to have them "Road Force" Balanced.
    spammysammich likes this.