Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What I have decided about my 750iL

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

bcweir

Some time ago, I "polled" this community regarding some changes I was considering with my 1988 750iL. After much thought and careful consideration, I weighed keeping it original vs. modifying it, or any degree in between. What I have decided is detailed below.

First, I decided to announce what's OUT (as in "out of the question, so don't ask.")

What's OUT:

Selling it.
    Parting it out.
    Sheetmetal modifications. I'm done with my Alpina conversion fantasies and Frankenstein E32/E38 body mod fantasies.

Powertrain modifications deviating significantly from its original configuration (i.e. not swapping in a different engine or any non-M70 engine, or doing any conversions to a stick shift [it's been done already, thank you Sanjeev for showing us the way]).

What's IN:

Any modifications that are not sheetmetal-related and do not change the car's identity as an E32. This leaves OPEN the possibility of swapping to a later model E32 front bumper at some point in the future.

Updating the car's electronics to make it more functional, more attractive, or more efficient. I'd like to keep the car's original aesthetics if possible.

Rather than having to decide between a completely original restoration at the expense of functionality, or functionality at the expense of the car's originality, I've decided to explore the limits of expanding the car's abilities without detracting from the car's identity as an E32. Under those definitions, even tasteful upgrades to the car's interior and exterior lighting are possible.

I will also be exploring my car's drivetrain durability, opting to keep the car's engine and transmission as factory original as possible. 296 horsepower is plenty for me, but I wouldn't mind increasing the engine's performance if it doesn't mean a compromise in its longevity, stability, or reliability.

At any rate, I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and inspiration.

M3Driver guest

Brian - Have you checked to see what Dinan may have for your car?

bcweir

Yes - Dinan is gradually phasing out parts for the M70.

Dinan is a really great organization, but considering that they moved on years ago from this engine, there have been other providers since who have been able to provide comparable parts at a smaller profit margin than what Dinan requires to stay profitable.

M3Driver guest

I perused over their website after my post. I saw some suspension pieces and chip upgrade that would be good for a pretty good HP boost but that was about it.

bcweir

I examined it also, but it primarily just remaps the fuel tables & removes limiter.

All in all, a pretty antiquated and simple upgrade. Later chips duplicated Dinan's efforts at lower cost.

I'm quite happy with the car's ride as it is, and Dinan's suspension upgrades tend to firm up the handling at the expense of ride comfort. That's going a little further in my ride preferences than I'd like, and in the wrong direction. Fresh factory shocks can optimize the ride without hardening it.

az3579

I'm still waiting for you to type what you actually decided on doing instead of just giving us what you would and wouldn't do. lol :p

bcweir

Then you must not have read my whole post.

I ruled out the Alpina parts, both the body parts and the wheels. First of all, the Alpina parts are way too pricey. Secondly, it's not an Alpina, and I didn't want it looking like an Alpina-wannabe.

What I didn't rule out was going to the updated bumper at some point in the future.

As far as I am concerned, that covers all of the mods I addressed in my earlier post without backing myself into a corner by making any premature commitments now.

My priority now is making all necessary repairs and upgrades now to complete its restoration. I'll worry about the other stuff later.

az3579

I think based on the thread title, this is what was expected... perhaps something in the form of "I'm going to put [this particular item, this brand, this model] and [that particular item, that brand, that model] on the car. Nevermind then... carry on. :)

dms540i

How about a set of slip-on seat covers and a nifty license plate frame?

bcweir

The license plate frame I'd probably consider...

... but I think I will pass on the slip on seat covers. Thanks though!

tiFreak

bcweir

No thank you...

... and by the way, I'm going to skip the fuzzy dice and the pink fleece dash upholstery too. :D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

So. . .

. . . I guess flames are out of the question. . . ?

az3579

Flames wouldn't be appropriate on a 7-series, no matter how you slice it. lol

bcweir

I'm in agreement with Botond on this one, Satch

I'd also add that if you could see the beautiful paint on this 23 year old 7-series, you'd both be inclined to agree.

CRKrieger

Apparently, our friend Brian doesn't view a white car as an empty canvas, as you and I do ... :D

bcweir

at 4,200 pounds, my car is a lot of things, but "empty" isn't one of them.

It's no more an empty canvas than your white E28 is. Somehow I don't think flames would do your car justice either.

Zeichen311

There's always room for Jell-O and there's always room for flames.
    Some cars just demand a greater degree of artistry to pull it off. :)

BMWCCA1

Never seen The In-Laws?

[IMG]

bcweir

Flames posts are getting off topic. No flames on my car. Thank you.

Thanks all.

Also, don't be a hypocrite. Don't advise someone to do something to their car that you haven't (or wouldn't have) done to yours. I'm surprised by the number of people advising flames for MY car don't have them on theirs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.