Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

N52 ticking noise/cylinder head replacement

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by alarroyo, Jan 11, 2011.

alarroyo

I have a 2006 330i with 23,100 miles on the clock. The car developed the noise and it was very loud. After I realized that I have extended the wrong warranty maintenance instead of service I immediately bought a third party one. I took it to BMW on San Antonio and it was diagnosed that the cylinder head needed replacement. We went with the warranty I bought and it was denied because there was no breakdown. Then after reading many BMW boards I saw that many people were given goodwill gestures by BMW for the head replacement. Noting my car has 23k miles on the clock I went ahead and requested it. BMWNA denied as well because it was out of warranty and problem could not be replicated well the car was torn down so I know they could not replicated the problem. BMWNA indicated that their decision was final is there anything else I could do???? Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks for any help.

cwbiii guest

similar ?

I had a 740 with a similar ticking and after 3K out of pocket in addition to the 2.5k my extended service would pay it turned out to be a timing chain gear that was coming into contact with the housing. I got a rebuilt engine and a lube change along with new timing
    chain and gears for my outlay... both lasted another 130k miles with little additional maintainence to either. Needless to say that the only thing I got was a good discount on the work because they had such a difficult time trying to figure out what it was and did a lot more than was needed to actually repair it.

So have them check out the timing chain for the ticking sound... and then live with it since it is not a serious problem but just an annoyance. The ticking came back about 30K miles after the rebuild and I ignored it. I sold the car with 208k miles on the odo and the engine was still running like a Swiss watch.

johnh

This is a common complaint on the early N52s. I presume you're talking about valve tapping. The hydraulic lifters do not maintain oil pressure. BMW eventually redesigned the head. BMW should be ashamed for making anyone pay for this repair. Check various E90 message boards and I'm sure you'll see you're not the first with this problem.

alarroyo

Yeah I know there are plenty of them. Amazingly this car only have 23K miles and me (The Customer) has to pay for a BMW engineering flaw. They are getting me with the excuse of the warranty expired, but it is still a BMW engineering flaw.

CSBM5

Out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car?

alarroyo

Build date 2/2006.

CSBM5

Ah, so that would qualify as a "later" N52 I believe (same build date as mine btw). We bought the car new and have 81k miles on it now with no engine issues at all. It's been a great, reliable car (surprisingly).

Are you the original owner of the car? I would find it highly unusual if you were and BMW didn't offer any assistance for this issue.

alarroyo

I'm the second owner bought with a little over 19000 miles a little over a year ago. I was very surprise too, the only warranty that have extended until 2013 is the extended maintenance one. No assistance whatsever not evan an offer either go 50/50 or anything. Fired up some emails this morning BMWNA President and BMW CEO don't know if it will get any traction. Also email to CEO my third party warranty (did not cover because actually car didnot breakdown), got a call from them. Lets see what happens because like I have stated I should not pay for manufacturer engineering flaws (6K repair bill).

CSBM5

alarroyo

I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

alarroyo

UPDATE: :) BMW has decided to cover all the repairs related to the ticking noise. Persistency pays off.

floydarogers

Congratulations: NICE!!

asus389

I'm curious, how often was the ticking happening in your car and how many times did you take it in before they diagnosed it as needing a new head? Did they say that straight away, or did they try to tell you to just replace the lifters first?

alarroyo