Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which chip?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by glugo1001, Dec 29, 2010.

glugo1001

Hi, everybody! I recently picked up a 1995 E36 325i (11/94 production) and am considering putting a chip in. I've looked at Dinan, Bavarian Autosport and Turner (Conforti). They are all within a couple hp of each other, but the Dinan chip is $50 cheaper than the others. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Recommendations, issues? Thanks for the help!

glugo1001

By the way, for reference purposes, this is how they compare:

Most everybody's chip includes a raised redline (by a few hundred rpm) and some fuel remapping.

Stock - 189hp/193tq

Dinan - 207hp/210tq, Cost $199 ($11.05 per hp increase)

Turner - 211hp/213tq, Cost $249 ($11.31 per hp increase)

Bavarian Autosport - 203hp/210tq, Cost $250 ($17.85 per hp increase)

Any thoughts, recommendations? Seems like the Dinan chip is the best bang for the buck.

Bimmerdan

I run the Dinan chip in my '95 and I really like it. It won't make a huge difference though, so don't expect a massive increase in performance. It was enough to feel in the butt-dyno though and I could tell it was pulling harder at the track. It did improve throttle response as well and the higher rev-limiter was a benefit at the autocross where you spend more time at the higher rev limits. From a daily driver standpoint, there was absolutely no downside.

It was all pretty subtle though, like I said, it's not like bolting on a supercharger so don't expect that kind of a change. I can't speak for any of the other ones (Turner, Conforti, etc.) because Dinan is the only one I've ever used but I can definitely recommend it. Dinan might not give the absolute biggest boost but I know they have done their research and it's worked like an absolute charm for the last 10 years!

Hope that helps!

Brian A

I have Dinan chips in both my 1987 325i and my 1991 318i.

Changing the chip on the 1987 caused a easily noticed change in power. Changing the chip on the 1991 had no noticable effect on power. I have swapped the chip in and out in the 1991 a few times and cannot feel any difference.

The difference is that the 1987 was factory tuned for 87 octane gasoline. The chip retunes it for 91 octane causing a big bump in power. The 1991 came from the factory tuned for 91 octane.

glugo1001

Thanks Brian and Bimmerdan for the replies! Brian, the E36 325i is allowed to use 89 octane, so I may be able to feel some difference. Of course, the chip is only one component. I'll probably add intake and perhaps exhaust later as budget allows. I guess I just want a little more oomph as the 325i just seems a little sluggish.

eam3

I had the Conforti chip on my '90 325is and it made a noticeable difference. Again, like Brian said, it won't be a huge difference but it is noticeable. I have nothing but positive things to say about Jim C's chip.

glugo1001

Thanks, eam3. Okay, I've eliminated the Bavarian Autosport chip as it doesn't offer much bang for the buck. I've been in contact with both Dinan and Turner and here's what I've found out:

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it does affect the mapping on the Conforti (Turner) chip. I don't have one now, but may add one later. Turner suggests to have the exhaust mapping done now, which is a $50 option. That makes their chip $300.

Dinan says that neither adding exhaust nor an intake later will affect the tune of their chip. That gives Dinan a $100 advantage but only a 4 hp deficit (which I don't think I'd be able to notice) with no worries about adding any peripherals (I don't plan on doing any cams, forced induction, etc).

At this point, it seems like Dinan is the way to go, unless there's another chip out there that I don't know about. I really appreciate everyone's input and please feel free to keep chiming in! :D