Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine options/new owner questions

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Brian Cassity, Dec 21, 2010.

Brian Cassity

As a new owner of an already not stock/correct 1972 02, I'm very interested in improving the power of this car. It already has been rebuilt, bored to a 2.1 L and a weber carb. It also, has a 5 speed. Will the S14 motor(which I'll probably not find or afford)bolt up to this tranny and would an M42 or 44 bolt up to it(1.8 or 1.9 DOHC). Or can I can get at least another 50 h.p. out of the M10 motor without spending a fortune and still have a reliable driver. I also want to put in after market a.c., any advice and where to shop and any good sources for 02 parts? Hoping some of you experienced 02 guys will steer me in the right direction.

CRKrieger

OK; the M10 has tremendous potential. After all, it is the last stock block engine to win a Formula One title. ;) So, you could expect maybe 1200-1500 hp out of it - at a cost. :eek: A BIG Damn© cost.

Close on the heels of an F1 1.4 liter turbo buildup would be bolting in another later BMW engine. Almost nothing actually fits physically and, of those that do, you're talking an expensive fitting job because they don't just bolt up. You might want to track down Roy Wicklund and talk to him about his Inka '02, since he's done an 'M2' S14 conversion within the past two years.

Realistically, you'd probably want to turbo the thing. That depends on whether you think the couple thousand you'd spend to have it done right are less than "a fortune". If not, then I'd say you've done about all you can already. Drive it and enjoy it for what it is: a lightweight car with 'adequate' power and fun handling.

The 2002 never had 'factory air', so anything you find will be 'aftermarket'. A few different kinds were installed 'back in the day' and you'd want to cobble together one of those BUT with an R134a conversion fill AND a modern rotary compressor. The old piston compressors were noisy and subject to failure, even when new.

Still, the 2002 is a pretty nice open air cruiser. Although mine had a/c, it was pretty crappy and I always liked to pop the rear windows open and run with the door windows & vents open. It flowed decently then.

John in VA

I believe the S14 will require a different tranny, but you don't say which one you have (mechanical vs. electronic speedo).
    You can get add'l HP from the M10, and it's your cheapest option - looks right in the engine bay, and can use your current tranny.
    Vintageair and some other Texas vendors have A/C components, but you should use a center console set-up that was originally used, like the Frigiking piece. Behr was used in later cars.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/
    http://www.bimmers.com/02/

bcweir

S14 will deliver more power, but at a high price.

A used, rebuildable S14 engine will likely set you back around $6,400 at least, and don't be surprised to spend around $10,000 by the time you're finished rebuilding it, especially if it has high miles or abused. Pray that the engine wasn't thrashed within an inch of its life by Ronnie Ramjet or Tommy Tracknut.

On the other hand, there are several M10 rebuilders that can get you between 150 to 170 using S14 connecting rods, head porting, and by mixing and matching various M10 parts. 170 or more is possible by going with 2002 turbo pistons and rebuilding the engine as a dedicated turbo engine. Metric Mechanic is pricey, but they're a reputable and knowledgeable engine rebuilder.

granthr

An S14 is pricey, like Brian said, one that doesn't need work is worth $7,500. If you go this route do not buy the motor without the wiring harness! An S14 wiring harness is also very expensive, so get the complete package.

It is also best to test the motor out in it's original car before you buy. I know this might be difficult.

Brian Cassity

thanks and part search

The advice much appreciated. I'd like to go with a dual side draft carb set up and a cam, but hope to find good used parts. I've posted a "parts wanted" but hope more 02 folks are looking at the forum.

CRKrieger

Well, if you ever track down the parts, the very next thing you want to do is track down the Haynes manual for Weber carburetors. If you don't already have it, I also highly recommend the Haynes for the 1600/2002. Admittedly, there are Haynes manuals out there that simply suck out loud (the one for the E28/E34 is one) but these two do not.

John in VA