Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Trunk Tool Kit

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by elgersma, Dec 18, 2010.

elgersma 82 BMW 633CSI, 02 BMW 540i, 04 BMW 330Ci

2002 540i 6spd.
    I am trying to find the tools to complete my trunk tool kit. I found out the hard way last week when my car broke down and realized the tow eye/hook was missing from the tool kit.
    I understand my local BMW dealer has all this stuff, but .... very pricey.... .
    I have checked Ebay and some other sites, but no complete sets. Usually the warning triangle is missing along with the sparkplug wrench.
    My tool kit only has the wheel lug wrench/crank.and the #8-10 open end spanner.

Any links to these tools or ideas will be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays
    Alan Elgersma
    Cincinnati

westech

Bavarian Autosport

Bavarian Autosport carries replacement tools for your trunk tool kit but bring $$$. The local junkyard may offer some hope.
    NOT SURE but I believe the red triangle was an option. If you find triangles, buy two & call me, I'll take the extra.

M3Driver guest

+1 on Bav Auto; I replaced several tools from our 2000 528i when we had it from them.

I think the warning triangle was "European-Only accessory" as far as coming OEM with the car. I seem to remember that those must be by law placed out anytime there is any type of automotive incident over there (breakdown, accident, etc...)

DHENRY

Alan,
    Late last year I was able to find a complete kit on eBay, triangle included.
    As I recall, it was less than $ 100.
    It was the least-costly of the four that were (then) available.
    Keep searching and you'll turn one up.
    Don

John in VA

mojofrog

triangle

yes, the warning triangle and the first aid kit come only with euro delivery - they are required by law in germany. btw, does anyone know where the first aid kit is supposed to go in the e39?

John in VA

drummerfc

Hmm...I was wondering what that big space was in the upper-left-hand side of the toolkit holder. D'OH to me for thinking it was for part of the jack ;) !!

Also...can anyone tell me why in the heck those things don't snap back into place easily??? Sheesh!! :eek:

UsedBits guest

After purchasing my 2002 e39 (540i) in July, 2010, and discovering that someone along the way had removed all the tools, manuals, glovebox flashlight, etc., I had a great time looking them up and purchasing them, one at a time, on eBay. It was the first 'project' for my new (to me) BMW.

I purchased only 1 'incorrect' part for the tool set and 1 duplicate where I had to purchase more than one to get what I wanted.

I was grateful that the spare tire and all the jack parts had been left in the car.

drummerfc

Hey UsedBits; LOVE the avatar pic :D:p:cool: !!

Autohaus guest

Why oh why do former owners remove these items from automobiles. If someone is so attached to the car then they should just keep it instead of picking things from it that needs to be available for the next owner(s) :mad:

UsedBits guest

The car had gone through an auction and was being sold by a couple of guys in Tampa who deal in 'upscale, fine autos'. Who knows who absconded with the loot. I'd bet the auction lot.

tspringy guest

Don't feel so bad I have the same problem but I don't even have the lugnut wrench.

CRKrieger

Well, there are reasons - and this is a good time to bring out a great story from a dear departed club member and friend, Jay Schmidt.

Jay worked with a guy who owned an E24. It was a little shabby, but seemed basically sound. One day, as Jay's coworker was facing an impending move (outside the US, IIRC), he asked Jay, "So when are you going to take my car?"

Surprised, Jay asked, "What do you mean 'take your car'? I'm interested in buying it, but we never discussed a price."

"I mean take it. I don't need it any more and you will take good care of it."

Still surprised, Jay decided to look a gift horse in the mouth and took a good look at the car. He knew it needed work and he also knew that a crappy E24 can be a money pit that's worse than no E24 at all. It was as good as he expected, so he was willing to take it. However ('gift horse' & all :rolleyes:) he opened up the tool kit and it was empty of hardware. "Where are the tools?"

"Oh. I use them in the house."

Jay was a good guy and a smart guy. He went right out to Sears and he bought $48 worth of household tools (including a hammer that we all know doesn't come in the tool kit) and he took them to his coworker. Now he had tools - and Jay had a $48 E24. :)

Postscript: Jay put a lot of work into that car over the following couple of years and it looked damn fine. Then he died of brain cancer. Damn, I miss him.

Bruce SEA 993

Just thinking about moving over here to this forum from Bimmerforums....too much youthful foolishness there for me!

Thought I would revive this thread and relate my tool kit experience. I too bought a used E39, 2002 540 6-speed, and found most of the tools missing. The logic of someone removing these escapes me...grrrr!

So I went onto ebay and found tools with the holder from a Three Series or some other model other than the E39. The tools are the same. So I actually have a tool kit with more tools in it than came with the car.

The warning triangle is a European only item and expensive here. I went to the VW dealer and got one for $20 that fits perfectly.

So that's what I know!

Cheers!