Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Driving School vs. Car Control Clinic

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tlamb, Dec 17, 2010.

Tlamb guest

So, I've been thinking about taking an "Advanced" Driving school for a while. I would love to better my driving skills in a way that I could use in my everyday.

This actually started when I thought about signing up for one of those "Exotics Racing" events, but then realized I think it would be cooler to have better driving skills than take a Ferrari around a track (with no idea how to control it).

I put this in the Off-Topic, as I wanted to see if people had suggestions for what I'm looking for. I'm in Southern California, so it should be easy to find something.

Also, my BMW is on lease, so I don't know if that limits what I can/can't do. I would love to learn in my own car, but I can see the dealership not being too happy with that.

Thanks for the help!

CRKrieger

As an instructor in both (as well as for Street Survival), I think there is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to take a car control school. You don't go real fast, it's almost impossible to damage your car - and you'll learn a lot, very quickly. That's kind of like drug dealers giving you free samples. You'll get hooked and you'll want more. So go to a driver school or three. You'll also learn a lot there, but you'll have a good grounding from the car control school.

The simple answer is, do both. The smart answer is, start with car control and then progress to high speed track stuff.

conechaser

I agree 100% You could also add an autoX or two as well.

Tlamb guest

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to start researching some car control clinics here in So. Cal to see what's available. I think it would be more fun to use my own car and understand it's limits and capabilities rather than some other type of car that you won't be driving on a regular basis.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Car-control first, then a track school

Actually, the Golden Gate Chapter---and probably the LA Chapter as well---requires a car-control clinic as a prerequisite for their on-track driving schools. CC clinics are an absolute hoot; like autocross, they give you an opportunity to find the limits of traction, adhesion, and control in a safe environment. I must say I was MUCH relieved when I started autocrossing the roadster, as I had no idea at which point it would slide out from under me, should I indulge in a bit of Trick Drivin'.

I know the San Diego Chapter is contemplating a school in March in the new track east of Indio, and Golden Gate has a one-day school coming up---April?---at Laguna Seca, one of America's great race tracks. And I think LA, Central Cal, or somebody has a Spring school planned for Buttonwillow. Get back to me at satch-at-satch-dot-US and I'll try to track these down for you.

Tlamb guest

This is great info! I'll take a look at the local LA chapter/SD Chapter websites and will see what I find. I'll get back to you if I'm having trouble.

I think it would be really cool to take the class with like minded enthusiasts.