Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Complete Roundel on CD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mjweimer, Apr 19, 2008.

mjweimer

Has anyone more computer savvy than I been able to get their Bentley Complete Roundel CD's to function on Windows XP or Vista?

I keep getting an error that states: "Jrew.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I have currently resurrected my old laptop running Windows 98 and Netscape 4.6 to get the program to work but would really like to set it up on my newer machines.

These CD's are a great resource and any of your thoughts are appreciated.

Matt

az3579

Which OS are you running?

Those kinds of errors are tough to diagnose because they're vague as can be. Try a restart first. If that doesn't work, the only suggestions I've got left require a bit more experience.

When does this error come up? After inserting CD? Accessing CD? Accessing a file on the CD?

Honestly, it would also help to know what kind of content is on the CD. Are the Roundel's in .pdf format? Some kind of Java, perhaps? (If Java, try updating your client by downloading and installing: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp)

mjweimer

Thank you for the reply.

I am running Windows XP w/Service Pack 2 on a P4 Dell box.

A restart does not clear up the problem.

The error occurs when trying to open the program that navigates you through the CD's. There are 7 CD's in all and the navigation program directs you to insert a particular CD depending on what year/month you select.

The files on the CD are .EI files which as far as I can tell are electronic image files.

I believe the actual program used to navigate and provide the user interface is some type of database access program but I could be 100% wrong.

I will look into updating my Java client to see if that helps.

Thanks again,

Matt

w2ec guest

Complete Roundel possible fix for XP

For those who don't have the Complete Roundel running on XP, try this:

1. Remove and reinstall your Complete Roundel from scratch
    2. Install the Netscape Navigator browser and accept the defaults
    3. Right click on the Complete Roundel icon on your desktop
    4. Left click on the Properties selection at the bottom of the drop down menu
    5. On the Target field of the Properties screen, search thru and find the parameter -classpath, it is near the beginning of the line.
    6. Now add the parameter -nojit before the -classpath parameter.
    7. Before the change the line should look like : .....\jrew.exe -classpath....
    8. After the change the line should look like : ......\jrew.exe -nojit -classpath....
    9. Click Apply and then OK
    10. Now double click on the Complete Roundel icon and it should run OK for you.

Also, if you have lots of harddisk space (about 3gb to spare) and would like to run right from you computer without carrying your CD's all over with you, here's what I did. (Did this on my laptop so I always have my Complete Roundel with me without lugging the CD's around).

1. When I installed my Complete Roundel I accepted the default path of C:\Roundel
    2. Each CD contains a directory called DISK1 thru DISK7. Just copy each of those subdirectorys to the C:Roundel subdirectory (or where ever you installed your Complete Roundel )
    3. Now go to the subdirectory C:\Roundel\jars and you will find a file called cd.txt. Just edit that file (it should contain the drive id of your CD drive that you installed your Complete Roundel from, D: for example) and change it to C:\Roundel\. Now when you run your Complete Roundel it will look for the correct files from the subdirectories DISK1 thru DISK7 on your hard drive and not from the CD Rom.

Good luck!

Paul
    BMW CCA #449