Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

radio problem

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by eicarguy, Apr 19, 2008.

eicarguy

Wife's 1998 M3 radio acts up occasionally. Stations change, CDs shuffle and she drives a lot. It's the factory Alpine tape head unit and controls the trunk CD.

When I took the radio out and pulled the faceplate off the problem was clear. One of the buttons was flat. I pried it up and got a plastic shell and a tiny torn rubber diaphragm with the contact on it. Seems the thing was just bouncing around in the button.

So I removed it and reassembled. Where am I going to find a button diaphragm? It was on the seek down button so maybe it isn't sooo vital.

thanks,

ei

Jonathan Spira guest

I would look for the same unit on eBay.

If you find a working one, so much the better; if it's not working, it is a donor unit.

kt1709 guest

I had a similar problem with my 98 323is. The most economical and reliable solution was to buy a "donor" radio. eBay is a good suggestion; however, a local BMW "junk yard" is better - if you can find one. In Houston, Matthew's Auto Sales has tons of parts and pieces in good condition.