Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Adding oil to E92 M3

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by mchellas, Dec 2, 2010.

mchellas

Hello,

Has anybody had the need to add oil between oil changes? my 2010 BMW with just about 8k miles had the "engine oil at min" warning come on? is this normal?
    Also, the service indicator suggests that my next oil change is required only at 17k miles or another 9k miles. Besides, the only oil change I have done is the initial oil change @ 1200mi.
    Seems like quite a long time between oil change. Does anybody have an opinion on whether I should actually change oil more frequently than the on-board service indicates?

Thanks

ForcedInduction guest

wanesso

Oil

yes, I occasionally have to add 1/2 to 1 quart (Castrol Motorsport 10w-60). It takes a while for the oil indicator to acknowledge the refill so don't add more until it's had a chance--I was advised to add 1/2 quart at a time and wait to see the computer's response.

SBrasesco

mine as well....also seems that when I drive it hard (like HPDE) the oil consumption is a bit higher.
    as far as the scheduled oil changes....I own my car so I bring it in and opt to pay.
    BMW's recommended service intervals leave a bit to be desired....but then again they pay for them so I see why...if you lease...no harm no foul....but if you own...I'd do it prior to the 15k they suggest.

granthr

Well since you asked! :D

You have a high performance engine. If you drive it hard and plan to keep this car a long time I would suggest oil changes between 5k and 7.5k. If you don't drive it much, then change it once a year, in the late fall just before you put it away for the winter. (Can you tell I am from a place with winter and salt!! :( )

I would also do the trans and final drive at the initial 1200 miles and then every 30k. IMHO.

BTW oil consumption is normal and increases with the harder you drive the car. BMW states up to 1 quart every 1k miles is normal.

Best.

wanesso

"If" you drive it hard? Why else do we have our M3's? :D