Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 M5 Suspension

Discussion in 'E39 M5 (2000-2003)' started by beatsjunky, Nov 23, 2010.

beatsjunky guest

I am looking for suggestions. I have a E39 M5. One front shock blew, so looking for replacements. I came across AC Schnitzer (used), Biltein and Koni. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. bmwparts@yahoo.com

CRKrieger

I'm a Bilstein fan. Spell it that way when you look for 'em.

beatsjunky guest

Thank you for the info.

What do you think about Bilstein PSS Coil-Over Kit (not PSS9)? Thanks again.

CSBM5

Bilstein doesn't have an application for the E39 M5 struts.

Konis are probably the best path to take. I've had the Dinan springs/Konis (among other mods) on my M5 now for about 5 years, and I've been very pleased with them.

Depending on the mileage/use of your car, it's likely it needs thrust arm bushings too, so have those taken care of at the same time.

See the E39 section of m5board.com for everything you will want to know about the E39 M5. Use the advanced search function and limit its reach to just the E39 section, and/or use google and prefix your search with site:m5board.com ahead of your search term.

CRKrieger

If Bilstein makes an E39 cartridge, they can valve it any way you want for a reasonable price.

vhle guest

Try looking at ISC coilover kit price is very fair and the quality of the kit is excellent.

CRKrieger

He didn't mention wanting different springs. With an M5, I would suspect he doesn't.

beatsjunky guest

Yes, I am looking to change everything; Shocks & Springs. I have been looking at AC Schnitzer set. Seems like a very good setup. But I also just came across DINAN S3 system. My only concern that they are both used. (Around 40K miles).
    Thank you very much for the info. I greatly appreciated.