Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hey! I didn't know about that!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Clinesdale, Nov 19, 2010.

Clinesdale guest

For the last 22,000 miles, I've thought of my E90 335i with S2 software as fast but very well composed. Turns out... if I hold down the DTC button for 5 seconds (instead of just toggling it on), this little beauty becomes a bipolar beast. It reminds me of my 2 year old at church when he gets a little glimmer of naughtiness in his eye while he works through what bad deed he is about to commit. He looks so gentlemanly, and then, all hell breaks loose.

I've never driven a car that would break loose at 40 - 45 miles an hour. I drove the 335d recently and it wasn't even close (with 400 or so ft lbs of torque).

How nice. Now back to cruise control and a lot of highway miles.

Zeichen311

Right: Normal is DSC on, press briefly activate DTC and turn off DSC, press and hold to deactivate both.

May I respectfully suggest you join the rarefied ranks of owners who read the owner's manual for the vehicle? This is in there. ;)

You may find you're missing out on other goodies as well.

345861 guest

If you don't have an Owners Manual, you should get one. You'll be amazed how much more is in there... ;)

Pyewacket1

Careful, there....

Some folks get really worked up when others suggest they take a reasonable and rational approach to learning the "ins and outs" of their vehicle...

Zeichen311

Yeah...that crunching sound you heard was the eggshells. :D

Clinesdale guest

Why use the manual when I can use Manuel?

It's says I should change the oil periodically. Just look at the things I learn when I read. Maybe I can get to that old calculus book of my wife's over the holidays. I might learn something else, too. Or, I could just ask questions on the greatest forum ever!

By the way, it would take a lot more than suggesting I read the manual to upset me. A LOT more.

Pyewacket1

Good for you!

However, you might be surprised at the sensitivity of some that really DO get ticked when anyone suggests they actually READ the instructional manual for their car...

bcweir

Awkward!!

How DO you gently tell someone when they are using the CCA forum to cover up their laziness in not RTFM?

Just out of curiosity, I am a bit confused by something.

I was thumbing through M/T (I think it was Motor Trend) and they were talking about their long term test car that they had to give up after two years of long term testing.

What I was confused about was that the article about the car SEEMED to suggest that this was a six speed manual 335d. It's a bit confusing because I was SURE that BMW only sold the 335d solely in automatic form.

Can someone clarify this?

Zeichen311

So... you were RTFM/T? :D

You're right, M/T was wrong or a bit sloppy. The 335d does have a six-speed automatic transmission. Not having read the article, I will assume they referred to a "six-speed," sans qualifier, forgetting that most enthusiast drivers would think that implied "manual."

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh heh heh

Doctor C, he say:

"It would take a lot more than suggesting I read the manual to upset me. A LOT more."

WHAH! Probably because you see items of a somewhat more critical nature in your line of work.

I got used to the press-and-release, press-and-hold nature of diminishing and then banishing the nannies in Party A's 335i, among other cars, before graduating to the M roadster. . . which is different. Push the button once to cancel; holding it down doesn't help. The manual doesn't mention any further rituals, either. My assumption is that DTC is its natural mode, dispensing with DSC and allowing at least minimal wheelslip.

And you're right: The 335i, with its instantaneous torque, is delightfully delinquent when you cancel the nannies, much more so than the roadster. I am beginning to think the ultimate BMW CCA Cult Car ought to be the 335is.

shipkiller

You are correct that the Z4 ///M's DSC is different. When you deactivate the DSC totally, and I mean it TOTALLY deactivates the function. Unlike other models, even a E90 M3, which never really deactivates the DSC. The Z4M DSC is much less intrusive. It has a much higher threshold before it intervenes.

After driving a 335i and a E90 series M3, I would not give up my M Coupe' for either one of those cars, and I drive my ///M every day.

Please remember that the 335 does not have a mechanical limited slip differential. When you 'break loose' the the tire you are spinning only one of the rear wheels. Stay in control.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Right you are, sir! In control at all times!

Mister 306065, he say:

That's EZZACKERY why Mister Dinan he sell those limity-slippery thingies!

But for most of us, there's more control in breaking loose just one wheel than in kicking both of them out from under you. . ..

:p

GrouchoN328KF guest

The 335i is an epic Stealth Hoon car, to be sure. :cool:

That said, I want a Dinan LSD. Oh, yes.

shipkiller

Just got back from two days at VIR. Great weekend..