Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Input needed on ride with plus size wheels

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by bswihart, Nov 13, 2010.

bswihart

Anyone with larger wheels 16 or 17 inch on an E34 care to comment on ride handling or other long term issues with this set up?

bcweir

E32's are mechanically similar to E34's and share many parts

I run 16 inch E38 wheels with 4mm spacers with no problems. My 1988 750iL came like this when I bought it five years ago. No problems with fitment, braking or performance or any other issues.

myronm

I have 17" wheels, with 235/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, on my '92 525iT. No issues once I had a good alignment. The jump from 15" to 17" with a slightly wider tire makes a huge difference in ride & handling. No spacers used.

I have used Dunlop SP9000's in the past. Had some tramlining on grooved surfaces with those.

Greg E34

I've run 16, 17, and 18 inch wheels on my E34 Touring. The larger the size, the less desirable the ride. My car is lowered on B&G springs with Bilstein shocks. The best compromise for me is the 17 inch throwing stars that I am currently running. Ride is firm, but not at all uncomfortable. I have also run 17 inch Style 5's and 18 inch M Parallels. Make sure that you get the appropriate hub size wheels. You can run E39 wheels, but you will need hubcentric rings. I have found that even with the rings, the wheels don't seem to ride as well as the ones that are the appropriate hub diameter. With my current setup, my wife will go on road trips with me and not complain about the ride.